Register to reply

Measuring the speed of light

by ravisastry
Tags: light, measuring, speed
Share this thread:
ravisastry
Dec9-10, 04:53 AM
P: 52
Hi, how is the speed of light measured in objects such as water, glass, diamond etc ? what are the tools and techniques used. thanks in advance !
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
'Squid skin' metamaterials project yields vivid color display
Team finds elusive quantum transformations near absolute zero
Scientists control surface tension to manipulate liquid metals (w/ Video)
Hootenanny
Dec9-10, 04:58 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 9,772
Quote Quote by ravisastry View Post
Hi, how is the speed of light measured in objects such as water, glass, diamond etc ? what are the tools and techniques used. thanks in advance !
Welcome to Physics Forums.

Just out of interest, why do you want to know? Why are you interested in the speed of light in transparent materials?
ravisastry
Dec9-10, 08:42 AM
just wanted to know how speed of light is calculated in places other than vaccumm...who knows, the answer i get, might help in formulating some new theory !

Feldoh
Dec9-10, 08:44 AM
P: 1,345
Measuring the speed of light

In terms of materials a viable way would be interferometry
ravisastry
Dec9-10, 08:54 AM
thanks...now, ill google "interferometry"
Hootenanny
Dec9-10, 08:56 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 9,772
just wanted to know how speed of light is calculated in places other than vaccumm...who knows, the answer i get, might help in formulating some new theory !
I look forward to it.
stevenb
Dec9-10, 09:05 AM
P: 697
If you don't mind an indirect method, you can use Snell's law and measurent of refraction angles with oblique incidence. This should work well with the highly transparent materials you mentioned.
K^2
Dec9-10, 10:50 AM
Sci Advisor
P: 2,470
Quote Quote by Feldoh View Post
In terms of materials a viable way would be interferometry
That's good for gases and fluids. Not so much for solid materials.

If you have a thick enough slab of material, and you send the beam through it a few times with mirrors, you can just time it directly.

One of the experiments done in the Intermediate Physics Lab in our department is measurement of speed of light using an oscilloscope, and LED, a photo-diode, and some mirrors. You basically use the oscilloscope to measure time it takes a pulse of light to travel a certain distance. You can get something like 10-3 precision with that.
ravisastry
Dec9-10, 11:46 AM
guys, im not getting what i was looking for "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interferometry" the link doesnt tell about speed of light measurement.
k^2 ... what i was looking for is, say you have a glass slab of 1 cm thickness. how much time would like to traverse this and roughly, how many atoms would it encounter. we can take any substance, not just glass. i'd like to know the time gap between a photon absorption and re-emission in any atom. do we have an experiment or ready made answer for my question :)
Danger
Dec9-10, 12:14 PM
PF Gold
P: 8,964
Quote Quote by K^2 View Post
That's good for gases and fluids. Not so much for solid materials.
You might have to get into atomic physics or maybe even quantum mechanics in order to get your answer. I am over my head just by posting the foregoing, so I can be of no further help. Believe, though, that any reflection/refraction is a consequence of electron shell structure.
Vanadium 50
Dec9-10, 01:22 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 16,462
Quote Quote by K^2 View Post
That's good for gases and fluids. Not so much for solid materials
For solids you can use the Brewster angle. Kind of fun to measure the speed of light in coal.
Danger
Dec9-10, 01:30 PM
PF Gold
P: 8,964
Quote Quote by Vanadium 50 View Post
Kind of fun to measure the speed of light in coal.
That obviously brings to mind that there might be a new method of medical stool analysis to be patented here. Damn!, but I hate you!

Register to reply