View Poll Results: Is EEStor real or an ellaborate hoax?
Yes, Definately Possible. 0 0%
No, It is a Hoax. 1 33.33%
I have no clue what youre talking about, or am unsure. 2 66.67%
The government doesnt want us to know. 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Register to reply

Super Capacitor Banks, Instant Charging, Inversion, Charging Battery Banks, Capacitor

by CadillacSnow
Tags: battery charger, capacitors, instant charge
Share this thread:
CadillacSnow
Dec17-10, 12:00 PM
P: 4
http://arstechnica.com/science/news/...harge-life.ars

Ive been reading a little on this EEStor thing. With so many negative comments about it and secrecy behind it, I began pondering it and would like more feed back.

Question: Is it theoretically possible to charge a battery bank from a super capacitor bank instantly? Keeping in mind that the types of capacitors and batteries are not specified, and use for the power ie: commercial, industrial, residential, or personal is not specified either.

Please prove your answers.
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
Greater safety and security at Europe's train stations
Fingerprints for freight items
On the way to a safe and secure smart home
berkeman
Dec17-10, 04:32 PM
Mentor
P: 41,115
Looks like an interesting technology if they can pull it off:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EEStor

Guess we just have to wait and see if it's real or not. BTW, the wiki article does not claim "instant" charging. It charges at the rate of a capacitor, versus the chemical battery's longer charging time. Still much faster though.
CadillacSnow
Dec17-10, 08:49 PM
Thanks for your reply bro.

I was basing my post on the latest article I read which uses the term "Instant".

For you "Sheldon Coopers" and other nit pickers out there, I of course know that a battery or capacitor can not be instantly charged like electricity to a light bulb by the flick of a switch.

What interests me is the possibility of low voltage electric generators charging capacitor banks flowing to an inverter or converter or transformer charging a bank of batteries for off grid living, and renewable energy from multiple simultaneous sources.

What im too lazy to research in the 42 electrical engineering books I have in front of me, is the benefits, if any, of using both a capacitor bank and a battery bank of any material or configuration.

Hence, my thread post here.

Thanks.

Fish4Fun
Dec18-10, 11:50 AM
P: 247
Super Capacitor Banks, Instant Charging, Inversion, Charging Battery Banks, Capacitor

Sure, in theory it is possible to charge batteries from capacitors:

C = Q/V

That is Capacitance = 1 Coulomb of charge per 1 Volt

Charging a battery is inputting current to it, or I = dQ/dt, and this occurs when Vsource > Vbatt. The problem is not in charging batteries from capacitors, but finding capacitors large enough for the charge to be meaningful to the battery.

Discovering, Inventing or refining a process to create a dielectric capable of withstanding the energy densities claimed by EEStor seems unlikely in the near future, but not impossible. The fact that EEStor has announced a product that they have as yet to demonstrate lends NO credence to their claims, but does not guarantee their claims are fraudulent.

There are numerous other "strikes" against EEStor's claim, but until they reveal a product for unbiased review, their claims cannot be 100% refuted......BUT, if it walks like a duck, it is prolly just a duck, IMHO.

Fish
CadillacSnow
Dec18-10, 10:10 PM
Thank you so much for your reply Fish. If what they have is real then the greatest leap forward in electronic and computer technology is here.
Exxon
Sep6-12, 07:31 AM
P: 1
The oil industry pays this company to keep this technology off the market for obvious reasons - this is why there are still investors; because the tech is real, but suppressed. Lockheed-Martin (partner of EEStor as seen on Wikipedia) is currently using this technology for black projects.
phinds
Sep6-12, 07:54 AM
PF Gold
P: 6,358
Quote Quote by Exxon View Post
The oil industry pays this company to keep this technology off the market for obvious reasons - this is why there are still investors; because the tech is real, but suppressed. Lockheed-Martin (partner of EEStor as seen on Wikipedia) is currently using this technology for black projects.
You need to support these claims, else you look like a conspiracy theory fruitcake.

Register to reply