Register to reply

2 questions: Should I let myself be conscripted before uni and about chem.engineering

by Nikitin
Tags: chemengineering, conscripted
Share this thread:
Nikitin
Jan1-11, 05:59 PM
P: 619
Hey guys.

A. When I turn 18 I'm supposed to be conscripted into the army for 1 year. I am interested in going (going to be fun), but I worry, for some reason, that I will forget allot of stuff from high school before starting on university (hoping for a master in chemical engineering)... Is this logical? Is there any point in worrying?

B. About chemical engineering, what kind of stuff do people with specialization in physical chemistry actually do? It would be interesting for me to work in the petroleum business (it is pretty much the best paid sector by far). Also is there allot of math in chemical engineering compared to stuff like mechanical engineering (not that I don't like math, I'm just curious)?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Security CTO to detail Android Fake ID flaw at Black Hat
Huge waves measured for first time in Arctic Ocean
Mysterious molecules in space
NanjoeBot
Jan3-11, 01:17 AM
P: 49
A: I wouldnt be to worried. In the first year you'll go through easier courses covering the basics and fundamentals of science and engineering. It will get you up to speed for the later more difficult coursework.

B: A chemE in the petroleum industry would take jobs such as designing, maintaining and operating plants. Also designing and optimizing processes in the industry.
As for math, there is alot! You'll need to be good at algebra, geometry, differentials, integrals, and linear algebra.
Nikitin
Jan6-11, 02:24 AM
thanks mate :)

do chemical engineers usually work on the field? oh and the uni I want to go to offers master's degree only.. Do people with masters do the same jobs as people with bachelors?

aspiring_one
Jan6-11, 02:43 AM
P: 60
2 questions: Should I let myself be conscripted before uni and about chem.engineering

I know nothing about being conscripted. I do know that petroleum engineering would be more beneficial to look into if such a program is offered since it deals more directly with your interest.

Chem engineers also can work in oil industries, so no problem there. Just thought you should know.
Nikitin
Jan9-11, 07:26 AM
Hmm, what's the difference between a chemical engineer working in the oil industry and a petroleum engineer working in the oil industry?

I have a hunch that petroleum engineers deal more with chemistry.. is this correct?

About conscription: I was more worried that I would forget allot of stuff in one year of doing basically no mental exercise (but lots of physical :D)
Nikitin
Jan9-11, 07:26 AM
Hmm, what's the difference between a chemical engineer working in the oil industry and a petroleum engineer working in the oil industry?

I have a hunch that petroleum engineers deal more with chemistry.. is this correct?

About conscription: I was more worried that I would forget allot of stuff in one year of doing basically no mental exercise (but lots of physical :D)
NanjoeBot
Jan9-11, 04:00 PM
P: 49
Quote Quote by Nikitin View Post
There is no difference. It just depends on what position you get in the industry.

Petroleum engineering is almost the same as chemical engineering. In a petroleum engineering program you would take all the same classes as the chemE's, except you will substitute some courses with ones that are focused on the petroleum industry.

Register to reply