Register to reply

Keeping concentrated

by Curl
Tags: concentrated, keeping
Share this thread:
Curl
Jan30-11, 12:45 AM
P: 757
I'm having problems keeping concentrated. I want to read a book but every 2 min I find myself getting up and doing something else, wasting time.

What are some good ways of keeping focused for 30 min + ?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
NASA team lays plans to observe new worlds
IHEP in China has ambitions for Higgs factory
Spinach could lead to alternative energy more powerful than Popeye
Evo
Jan30-11, 01:20 AM
Mentor
P: 26,425
Quote Quote by Curl View Post
I'm having problems keeping concentrated. I want to read a book but every 2 min I find myself getting up and doing something else, wasting time.

Have you been screened for ADD or ADHD?
ADD & ADHD is a problem with inattentiveness, over-activity, impulsivity, or a combination.
It can be treated with medication. Many of our members are taking medication to control this disorder and it has helped them tremendously. You might want to check with your doctor.
graphene
Jan30-11, 04:13 AM
P: 196
I find myself getting up and doing something else, wasting time.
what are these 'something else's ?
get rid of them, keep them aside.

mugaliens
Jan30-11, 05:55 AM
P: 595
Keeping concentrated

Sleep?

Quote Quote by graphene View Post
what are these 'something else's ?
get rid of them, keep them aside.
"get rid of them, keep them aside"

Ahem, graphene, we don't work that way, and "we" number about 20% of the human population, including some of the best and brightest.

Evo's right, and there was a quite oustanding PBS special on ADD/ADHD recently. For some folks, our brains (yeah, me) are wired in ways which make most others somewhat uncomfortable by the way we do things or go through our lives.

I've never been diagnosed, nor on medication, but I've little doubt that I'm one of "them."

The thing of it is, somewhere along the line, I somehow learned to cope, at least somewhat. In short, I leveraged my extreme intelligence - (I'm not bragging, just gifted, Mensa, the whole nine yards) only to lead a rather ordinary life. Alcohol got in the way for a couple of years, because coping with the continual failure of not being able to rise to one's potential is a difficult, bitter thing.

Had I been diagnosed at an earlier age and properly treated, who knows what I might have been able to accomplish?

After dinner with my folks on Friday (yes, Jan 29,11) my Mom gave me a book recommended by the PBS special. If I could find it, I'd share it with you! Follow the link above, and it might be there.

I can, and have, accomplished so many extraordinary things! Yet so many ordinary things seem so beyond my grasp. I have a hard time cleaning my apartment, yet I can do so in lightening speed, such as before anyone visits. The other night, when I was helping my Mom cook dinner and things went sour with the several steps I said, "I've got it, please have a seat," and rescued everything from what was headed towards disaster.

I used to be a navigator in the military. I'd like to think that I was good at it, in that I always hit either the target or the bomb range on time (with two exceptions, actually fairly good over the course of one's career using visual means only). But there were far better Navs out there than I was.

What I excelled at, in part because of add/adhd, was in "pulling the fat out of the fire." When the crap hits the fan, my brain goes into hyperdrive when everyone else's brain around me appears to go into gridlock. This happened several times in the military (during inflight emergencies such as engine or electrical fires) and when all was said and done, most just said, "what the heck just happened?"

I've "pulled the fat out of the fire" in other situations, too, most notably while being grilled by commanders or general officers during either exercises or real-world events. Real, verifiable facts. Yet I've seen other officers "fired" (relived of duty/command) because they simply either locked up or couldn't pull it off. Two of the best navs in two separate squadrons failed out of a famous school because they could not "rise to the occasion." Yet they rose higher in rank than I did because I was cited as being "able to rise to the occasion."

(rolls eyes)

I think at least half the commanding officers in the military have it, to one extent or another. I'd rather not get into corporations, as I've only limited experience with that, but yes, I think it's rampant there, too.

So - should we medicate and stygmatize half our military and corporate executives?

No, BUT, I do think we should pull out all stops against any stygmatization, whatsoever, against ADD/ADHD, whether the kids or adults are medicated or not.

We have so much to offer! Find us a place in society where we can utilize our gifts to help everyone else.
Jimmy Snyder
Jan30-11, 08:34 AM
P: 2,179
I was fired from my job at Tropicana because I couldn't concentrate.
EnumaElish
Jan30-11, 08:55 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 2,483
You could read while exercising (on a treadmill or stationary bike), and see if that works.
Evo
Jan30-11, 12:28 PM
Mentor
P: 26,425
Quote Quote by Jimmy Snyder View Post
Curl
Jan30-11, 03:39 PM
It only happens when I read something I don't want. If I pick something out on my own then I don't have problems.

Distractions include coming here, eating, watching sports, etc. I don't think I have ADHD because 1) I've never had problems as a kid, and 2) I can be super concentrated at times, such as in sports and in exams, or when I'm researching something I want to find out about.

...or maybe I have some other disease, lol. Don't know.
glueball8
Jan30-11, 03:43 PM
P: 347
Maybe you need a better studying environment. Go to a library its harder to get distracted.

Also, I thought Tropicana is not from concentrated.
Curl
Jan30-11, 05:06 PM
ye they say it's 100% natural fresh-squeezed juice.

and library works, but I'm too lazy to go.
mugaliens
Jan30-11, 05:24 PM
P: 595
I can be super concentrated at times...
So can I. So can my son. That's one of the hallmarks of add/adhd.

He and I both have it.

It's not a detriment if you figure out how to flip it to your advantage. The problem is, most, perhaps more than 90%, people with it just can't get there from here.

I wish I'd had meds back when I was in high school. I wonder where I'd be now.
EnumaElish
Jan30-11, 08:01 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Quote Quote by Curl
It only happens when I read something I don't want
If you don't want it, why are you reading it? Oh wait, you're not... Hmm...
lisab
Jan30-11, 08:31 PM
Mentor
P: 2,974
ye they say it's 100% natural fresh-squeezed juice.

and library works, but I'm too lazy to go.
Go anyway. Seriously, get your butt in there if that's what it takes!
EnumaElish
Jan30-11, 09:12 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Quote Quote by Jimmy Snyder View Post
imageShack dropped me because of my low resolution.
edward
Jan30-11, 09:28 PM
PF Gold
P: 873
Quote Quote by mugaliens View Post
So can I. So can my son. That's one of the hallmarks of add/adhd.

He and I both have it.

It's not a detriment if you figure out how to flip it to your advantage. The problem is, most, perhaps more than 90%, people with it just can't get there from here.

I wish I'd had meds back when I was in high school. I wonder where I'd be now.
The ADD and Loving It video can be purchased at the link below. There are other interesting short videos and an adult ADD virtual screening test.

http://www.totallyadd.com/category/totally-add-shop/
EnumaElish
Jan30-11, 09:40 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
New hope for ADD and ADHD sufferers
pallidin
Jan31-11, 07:14 PM
P: 2,292
Quote Quote by mugaliens View Post
...Alcohol got in the way for a couple of years, because coping with the continual failure of not being able to rise to one's potential is a difficult, bitter thing.
OOoooo... that's me.
Developed clinical anxiety over that.
Jimmy Snyder
Jan31-11, 07:33 PM
P: 2,179
Quote Quote by EnumaElish View Post
imageShack dropped me because of my low resolution.
There's a bunch in this thread Fired!
Starting at post 25

Register to reply