Velocity at the bottom of an incline

In summary, the object's velocity is found by solving the kenematics equation v^2 = v0^2 + 2*a*dx, where a is the acceleration due to gravity.
Tycho
How can I find the velocity of an object at the bottom of a frictionless incline?

m=108kg
Initial Velocity= 4.6m/s
Length of ramp=755m
Incline=downwards at 19.6 degrees

I keep telling myself I'm not unintelligent... But this keeps replying otherwise :yuck:

Physics news on Phys.org
Use the given angle and the mass of the object to calculate the component of the object's weight acting parallel to the incline. With this net force acting on it (there is no friction), you know its acceleration from Newton's second law. Kinematics will tell you the final velocity of an object with the given initial velocity traversing this distance at constant acceleration.

Tycho said:
How can I find the velocity of an object at the bottom of a frictionless incline?

m=108kg
Initial Velocity= 4.6m/s
Length of ramp=755m
Incline=downwards at 19.6 degrees

I keep telling myself I'm not unintelligent... But this keeps replying otherwise :yuck:
This should be in the Highschool Help section, but here is how I would do it:

Given: mass, v0, dx, and angle theta, we want to find v.

There is a kenematics equation: v^2 = v0^2 + 2*a*dx

The only thing you do not know is the acceleration, which you can find from the given quantities. The only thing acting on your object is Gravity.

PrudensOptimus said:
This should be in the Highschool Help section, but here is how I would do it:

Given: mass, v0, dx, and angle theta, we want to find v.

There is a kenematics equation: v^2 = v0^2 + 2*a*dx

The only thing you do not know is the acceleration, which you can find from the given quantities. The only thing acting on your object is Gravity.

dx? is that the length of the incline?
and to find the acceleration, is that a=-g*SIN(angle)?

Tycho said:
dx? is that the length of the incline?
and to find the acceleration, is that a=-g*SIN(angle)?
dx is the length of the line in this case.

Acceleration is defined to be a = Sum of all forces / m for constant mass objects.

your a = -g*SIN(angle) is misleading. It will not work in all cases.

Final velocity should be 70.6 m/s down the slope.

Acceleration down the plane a = gsin(19.6)
distance, s = 755
initial velocity, v' = 4.6
substitute values in
V^2 = (V')^2 + 2as
v=71 m/s (aprox)

PrudensOptimus said:
Final velocity should be 70.6 m/s down the slope.
just in case you might ask why is the final velocity almost 15 times faster than the initial speed: The distance played a major factor in determining this such increase... as you go further, your speed increases.

Why not just use energy conservation? The change in kinetic energy in this situation depends only on the net vertical displacement of the object. Remember Galileo! The rest is basic geometry.

What is velocity at the bottom of an incline?

Velocity at the bottom of an incline refers to the speed at which an object is moving when it reaches the bottom of an inclined plane. It is measured in units of distance per time, such as meters per second.

How is velocity at the bottom of an incline calculated?

Velocity at the bottom of an incline can be calculated using the equation v = √(2gh), where v is the velocity, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the incline.

Does the mass of the object affect the velocity at the bottom of an incline?

Yes, the mass of the object does affect the velocity at the bottom of an incline. According to the equation v = √(2gh), the velocity is directly proportional to the square root of the height and inversely proportional to the square root of the mass.

What factors can affect the velocity at the bottom of an incline?

The velocity at the bottom of an incline can be affected by the height of the incline, the mass of the object, and the acceleration due to gravity. Other factors that may affect it include friction, air resistance, and the shape of the object.

Why is the velocity at the bottom of an incline important?

The velocity at the bottom of an incline is important because it can help determine the energy and speed of an object as it moves down an inclined plane. It is also a key concept in understanding the laws of motion and can be applied to real-world scenarios, such as calculating the speed of a car going down a hill.