Simple but frustrating confusion on definition of bounded function

In summary, the conversation was about the definition of a bounded function and how it applies to a specific example given in a vector calculus textbook. The confusion arose when considering the function f(x,y) = 1/x on the closed rectangle [0,1]x[0,1]. After discussing the definition and looking at other sources, it was clarified that the function is not bounded on this rectangle because it is not continuous. It was also noted that the function is defined on (0,1]x[0,1], not on [0,1]x[0,1].
HJ Farnsworth
Hi everyone,

I came across something in my vector calculus textbook (Marsden and Tromba, Edition 5, p. 327) that is confusing me.

"A function f(x,y) is said to be bounded if there is a number M>0 such that -M<=f(x,y)<=M for all (x,y) in the domain of f. A continuous function on a closed rectangle is always bounded, but, for example, f(x,y) = 1/x on (0,1]x[0,1] is continuous but is not bounded, because 1/x becomes arbitrarily large for x near 0. The rectangle (0,1]x[0,1] is not closed, because the endpoint 0 is missing in the first factor."

I do not see how f(x,y) = 1/x could possibly be considered bounded on the closed rectangle [0,1]x[0,1] by the definition given - it still approaches infiniti for x near 0. There is clearly no M for which f(x,y) <= M for all (x,y) in the domain of f, be it on [0,1]x[0,1] or (0,1]x[0,1]. And yet, it is stated, without explanation, that the function is bounded on this rectangle.

I looked at some other sources to try to find a different definition of bounded that might clear up some of the confusion, but to no avail (Wikipedia has an equivalent definition and also says that a continuous function on a closed region is always bound).

Does anyone know what the deal is?

Thanks,

HJ Farnsworth

Mathematics news on Phys.org
f(x,y) = 1/x does not exist on the closed rectangle [0,1]x[0,1], but can only exist on (0,1]x(0,1]. It is namely not defined at 0 (so you cannot just add 0 and close the interval), and, hence, you are right, it is not bounded. Note that even if you did define it piecewise to have a value at 0, then it would not be continuous, since it approaches plus infinity as x goes to zero.

Thank you, I think I understand now.

The definition said every continuous function on a closed rectangle is always bounded. f(x,y)=1/x does not exist at x=0 and cannot be considered continuous at x=0. So as I thought, it is unbounded on the rectangle [0,1]x[0,1].

My mistake was in thinking that the text was implying that f was bounded on the closed rectangle, when in fact it was not, since f is not continuous on that interval and thus need not be bounded by the given definition.

Does that sound correct?

Again, many thanks.

-HJ Farnsworth

Ryker said:
f(x,y) = 1/x does not exist on the closed rectangle [0,1]x[0,1], but can only exist on (0,1]x(0,1]. It is namely not defined at 0 (so you cannot just add 0 and close the interval), and, hence, you are right, it is not bounded. Note that even if you did define it piecewise to have a value at 0, then it would not be continuous, since it approaches plus infinity as x goes to zero.

One slight correction. f is defined on (0, 1] x [0, 1]. Note that 0 is included in the second interval (the domain for y).

Mark44 said:
One slight correction. f is defined on (0, 1] x [0, 1]. Note that 0 is included in the second interval (the domain for y).
Sorry, you are correct, of course. I am not familiar with rectangles like this or vector calculus yet, so I just answered what I thought was right for x, but completely forgot about the fact that with y there is no such problem in this specific case :smile:

1. What is a bounded function?

A bounded function is a mathematical function that has a finite range, meaning that the output values of the function are limited to a specific interval or range of values. This means that the function's values do not approach infinity or negative infinity as the input values increase or decrease.

2. How can I determine if a function is bounded?

To determine if a function is bounded, you can graph the function and observe the shape of the graph. If the graph does not approach infinity or negative infinity in either direction, then the function is bounded. Alternatively, you can use the definition of a bounded function and check if the output values are limited to a specific interval.

3. Can a function be both bounded and unbounded?

No, a function cannot be both bounded and unbounded. A function is either bounded or unbounded, depending on whether its output values are limited to a specific range or not. A function cannot have both finite and infinite values.

4. What is the difference between a bounded function and a continuous function?

A continuous function is a function that has no breaks or gaps in its graph, meaning that the function can be drawn without lifting the pen from the paper. On the other hand, a bounded function is a function with finite values, meaning that its graph does not approach infinity or negative infinity. A continuous function can be bounded or unbounded, but a bounded function is not necessarily continuous.

5. Why is understanding bounded functions important in mathematics?

Bounded functions are important in mathematics because they have many applications in real-world problems. For example, in physics, bounded functions can represent physical quantities that have limits or bounds. In addition, bounded functions are essential in calculus, where they are used to analyze the behavior and properties of functions. Understanding bounded functions also helps in understanding the concept of limits and continuity of functions.