Simple but frustrating confusion on definition of bounded function

by HJ Farnsworth
Tags: bounded, confusion, definition, frustrating, function, simple
Share this thread:
HJ Farnsworth
Feb9-11, 12:28 AM
P: 123
Hi everyone,

I came across something in my vector calculus textbook (Marsden and Tromba, Edition 5, p. 327) that is confusing me.

"A function f(x,y) is said to be bounded if there is a number M>0 such that -M<=f(x,y)<=M for all (x,y) in the domain of f. A continuous function on a closed rectangle is always bounded, but, for example, f(x,y) = 1/x on (0,1]x[0,1] is continuous but is not bounded, because 1/x becomes arbitrarily large for x near 0. The rectangle (0,1]x[0,1] is not closed, because the endpoint 0 is missing in the first factor."

I do not see how f(x,y) = 1/x could possibly be considered bounded on the closed rectangle [0,1]x[0,1] by the definition given - it still approaches infiniti for x near 0. There is clearly no M for which f(x,y) <= M for all (x,y) in the domain of f, be it on [0,1]x[0,1] or (0,1]x[0,1]. And yet, it is stated, without explanation, that the function is bounded on this rectangle.

I looked at some other sources to try to find a different definition of bounded that might clear up some of the confusion, but to no avail (Wikipedia has an equivalent definition and also says that a continuous function on a closed region is always bound).

Does anyone know what the deal is?

Thanks,

HJ Farnsworth
Phys.Org News Partner Mathematics news on Phys.org
Heat distributions help researchers to understand curved space
Professor quantifies how 'one thing leads to another'
Team announces construction of a formal computer-verified proof of the Kepler conjecture
Ryker
Feb9-11, 01:22 AM
P: 1,088
f(x,y) = 1/x does not exist on the closed rectangle [0,1]x[0,1], but can only exist on (0,1]x(0,1]. It is namely not defined at 0 (so you cannot just add 0 and close the interval), and, hence, you are right, it is not bounded. Note that even if you did define it piecewise to have a value at 0, then it would not be continuous, since it approaches plus infinity as x goes to zero.
HJ Farnsworth
Feb9-11, 01:45 AM
P: 123
Thank you, I think I understand now.

The definition said every continuous function on a closed rectangle is always bounded. f(x,y)=1/x does not exist at x=0 and cannot be considered continuous at x=0. So as I thought, it is unbounded on the rectangle [0,1]x[0,1].

My mistake was in thinking that the text was implying that f was bounded on the closed rectangle, when in fact it was not, since f is not continuous on that interval and thus need not be bounded by the given definition.

Does that sound correct?

Again, many thanks.

-HJ Farnsworth

Mark44
Feb9-11, 09:52 AM
Mentor
P: 21,307
Simple but frustrating confusion on definition of bounded function

Quote Quote by Ryker View Post
f(x,y) = 1/x does not exist on the closed rectangle [0,1]x[0,1], but can only exist on (0,1]x(0,1]. It is namely not defined at 0 (so you cannot just add 0 and close the interval), and, hence, you are right, it is not bounded. Note that even if you did define it piecewise to have a value at 0, then it would not be continuous, since it approaches plus infinity as x goes to zero.
One slight correction. f is defined on (0, 1] x [0, 1]. Note that 0 is included in the second interval (the domain for y).
Ryker
Feb9-11, 11:51 PM
P: 1,088
Quote Quote by Mark44 View Post
One slight correction. f is defined on (0, 1] x [0, 1]. Note that 0 is included in the second interval (the domain for y).
Sorry, you are correct, of course. I am not familiar with rectangles like this or vector calculus yet, so I just answered what I thought was right for x, but completely forgot about the fact that with y there is no such problem in this specific case

Register to reply