What is the meaning of the indefinite integral of 1/x?

• Thread starter SprucerMoose
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary: If a is positive and b is positive, then the integral from a to b is ln(b/a).If a is negative and b is negative, then the integral from a to b is ln(|b|/|a|).If a is negative and b is positive, then the integral from a to b is ln(b/|a|).If a is positive and b is negative, then the integral from a to b is ln(|b|/a).In summary, The Cauchy Principal Value of the integral of 1/x from x=1 to x=a, where a is any real number except 0, is equal to ln(|a|). This can be seen by using the graph
SprucerMoose
G'day all,
I am trying to gain a deeper understanding of the integral of 1/x.

I understand that ln(a) is the area under graph 1/x from x=1 to x=a, where a>0, this is a definite integral.

What I am trying to wrap my head around is the integral of 1/x being ln|x|, with the absolute value of x causing me the most confusion. How does this relate to the above definition? What does this indefinite integral mean?

I have seen it explained that for y = ln(-x) where x<0, by chain rule dy/dx = -1/(-x) = 1/x, thus the integral of 1/x is ln|x|, but it is here that I am losing all intuition of the concept. I understand the process of using the chain rule and how this solution is arrived at, but I'm left wondering what the indefinite integral of 1/x really is as a mentally tangible concept.

Physics news on Phys.org
Note that the function 1/x is defined for both x>0 and x<0. ln(x) has domain only x>0.
So solve the two parts in pieces.

What function had derivative 1/x when x< 0? answer ln(-x).
What function has derivative 1/x when x > 0? answer ln(x).

Define a(x) = x if x>0 and -x if x < 0 and you have the general answer ln(a(x)). This 'a' is a commonly defined function with a standard notion a(x) = |x|.

Remember the definition of "the" indefinite integral of a function. It is the set of anti-derivatives i.e. the solution set of y'=f(x). So [tex] \int x^{-1}dx = ln|x| + c[/tex].

One other point. If it bothers you that we must throw in that absolute value, think about how ln(x) is defined. We define it in terms of solution to an exponential equation.
We could have defined the notation to be the antiderivative of 1/x and absorb the |x| into the notation: Ln(x) = ln(|x|), and then derive that Ln(x) is the "antiexponential" for positive x, (and is also an even function since 1/x is an odd function). It is a matter of historic convention that Napier considered solutions to exponential equations and we invented notation for that first.

Thanks for the speedy reply.

If, for arguments sake, the very definition of ln(x) was the area under 1/x, could this be defined over R\{0} or would we be stuck with the conventional R+? Could the asymptote be crossed in calculating the area?

The area under 1/x from x=1 to x=-1 would be zero (if it can be defined), as the two areas on either side of the asmptote would be equal and of opposite signs, but infinite in size. This corrosponds to ln(|-1|) = 0. Could a version of ln(x) be defined as the area from x=1 to x=a, where a is R\{0} to include values of x<0? To me this definition of ln(x) = ln(|x|), fits very well with it's associated derivitive 1/x. I can see that 1/x is the derivitive of ln(|X|) for all R\{0}, but is my above reasoning another way of looking at the same mathematical phenomena that is 1/x? Is this explanation of why the integral of 1/x is indeed ln(|x|) valid, or are my asymptote crossing antics blasphemy?

Thanks again.

The natural logarithm defined on (0,infty) can be extended on the complex plane, so that any complex number except 0 can serve as a logarithm's argument.

This extension is tackled in all books on complex analysis, I presume.

(This is in response to SpruceMoose's last post. bigubau snuck in ahead of me.)

What you are talking about is the "Cauchy Principle Value" of an improper integral. If f(x) is not continuous at x= c, and a< c< b, then the standard definiton of the improper integral is
[tex]\int_a^b f(x)dx= \lim_{\alpha\to c^-}\int_a^\alpha f(x)dx+ \lim_{\lim_{\beta\to c^-}\int_\beta^b f(x)dx[/tex]

while the Cauchy Principal Value is
[tex]C.P.V.\int_a^b f(x)dx= \lim_{\gamma\to 0^+}\int_a^{c-\gamma} f(x)dx+ \int_{c+ \gamma}^b f(x)dx[/tex]

If the "standard" improper integral exists, then so does the Cauchy Principal Value and they are equal but the Cauchy Principal Value may exist when the standard integral does not.

In particular, for f(x)= 1/x, a= -1, b= 1, the Cauchy principal value is
[tex]C.P.V.\int_{-1}^1 \frac{1}{x}dx= \lim_{\gamma\to 0+}\int_{-1}^{-\gamma} \frac{1}{x}dx+ \int_\gamma^1 \frac{1}{x}dx[/tex]
[tex]= \lim_{\gamma\to 0^+}\left(ln(|-1|)- ln|-\gamma|\right)+ \left(ln(1)- ln(\gamma)\right)[/tex]
which equals 0 because everything on the left and right cancels. If we had use "[itex]\alpha[/itex]" and "[itex]\beta[/itex]" as in the standard definition, that would not happen and we would have
[tex]\lim_{\alpha\to 0} ln(|\alpha|)+ \lim_{\beta\to 0} ln(|\beta|)[/tex]
and now neither limit exists.

Thanks Bigubau and Ivy.

Does this mean that the C.P.V. of 1/x taken from x=1 to x=a, where a is R\{0} = ln(|a|)?

A more elementary way of thinking about this, if you restrict yourself to real variables, is to see (by looking at the graph of y = 1/x) that your "integral" definition of ln(x) only makes obvious sense for x > 0.

From that definition, is it clear that
[tex]\int_a^b \frac 1 x dx = \log b - \log a[/tex]
when a and b are both positive

However it is equally clear from the graph (or by substituting u = -x) what the value of definite integral
[tex]\int_a^b \frac 1 x dx[/tex]
is when both a and b are both negative. That explains where the |x| comes from.

Personally I think the |x| notation is confusing for beginners. It's probably easier to think about the "positive" and "negative" cases separately, till you are confident about what is going on.

Thanks AlephZero.

I never thought of it that way and that makes sense if you never cross the assymptote. But my question still remains.

Does the C.P.V. of 1/x taken from x=1 to x=a, where a is R\{0} = ln(|a|), more specifically where a<0?

Yes, that is correct. And as for a> 0, that is the same as the integral.

Thank you very much.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

1. What is the definition of the integral of 1/x?

The integral of 1/x is the mathematical operation that represents the area under the curve of the function f(x) = 1/x. It is denoted by ∫ 1/x dx and is equal to the natural logarithm of x, ln(x), plus a constant of integration.

2. How do you solve the integral of 1/x?

The integral of 1/x can be solved using the power rule for integration, which states that ∫ x^n dx = (x^(n+1))/(n+1) + C. In this case, we can rewrite 1/x as x^(-1) and apply the power rule to get ∫ 1/x dx = ln(x) + C.

3. What is the domain of the integral of 1/x?

The domain of the integral of 1/x is all real numbers except 0, since the function 1/x is undefined at x = 0. This means that the integral ∫ 1/x dx is only valid for values of x that are greater than 0 or less than 0.

4. Can the integral of 1/x be solved using other methods?

Yes, the integral of 1/x can also be solved using the substitution method, where we substitute u = 1/x and use the fact that du/dx = -1/x^2. This results in the integral becoming -∫ du/u, which can then be solved using the power rule for integration.

5. What is the significance of the integral of 1/x in mathematics?

The integral of 1/x is a fundamental integral in mathematics and it has many applications in fields such as calculus, physics, and engineering. It is also an important concept in the study of logarithmic functions and their derivatives.