Simplify

by Michael_Light
Tags: simplify
Michael_Light
Feb12-11, 09:16 PM
P: 117
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Simplify Please kindly show the working steps as well. ^^ Thanks.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I tried but i have no idea on how to start...
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Cougars' diverse diet helped them survive the Pleistocene mass extinction
Cyber risks can cause disruption on scale of 2008 crisis, study says
Mantis shrimp stronger than airplanes
Mentallic
Feb12-11, 11:16 PM
HW Helper
P: 3,436
I can't see what you posted. Can you write it here?
Michael_Light
Feb12-11, 11:55 PM
Quote Quote by Mentallic View Post
I can't see what you posted. Can you write it here?
Sorry, here it goes:

Mentallic
Feb13-11, 12:07 AM
HW Helper

Simplify

Ok, by simplification I assume they mean rationalizing the denominator (getting rid of square roots in the denominator). Do you know about multiplying by the conjugate?
Michael_Light
Feb13-11, 12:26 AM
Ok, by simplification I assume they mean rationalizing the denominator (getting rid of square roots in the denominator). Do you know about multiplying by the conjugate?
I guess i don't know how to multiply by conjugate since i don't even know what is a conjugate. ><
Mentallic
Feb13-11, 01:13 AM
HW Helper
If you have something like [tex]\frac{1}{1+\sqrt{x}}[/tex] then you can get rid of any roots in the denominator (bottom part of the fraction) by multiplying by the conjugate [tex]1-\sqrt{x}[/tex]
Basically, the conjugate of a+b is a-b. When you multiply [tex]1+\sqrt{x}[/tex] by [tex]1-\sqrt{x}[/tex] you get [tex]1-x[/tex]. When you multiply a-b by a+b you get [tex]a^2-b^2[/tex] so you can see that if a and b are square roots, the square roots will vanish in the denominator. So multiplying by the top and the bottom will give you [tex]\frac{1}{1+\sqrt{x}}=\frac{(1-\sqrt{x})}{(1+\sqrt{x})(1-\sqrt{x})}=\frac{1-\sqrt{x}}{1-x}[/tex]
That is what you call rationalizing the denominator.

Now, for your question, the conjugate of [tex]\sqrt{1-x^2}+\sqrt{1+x^2}[/tex] will be...?
Michael_Light
Feb13-11, 02:10 AM
If you have something like [tex]\frac{1}{1+\sqrt{x}}[/tex] then you can get rid of any roots in the denominator (bottom part of the fraction) by multiplying by the conjugate [tex]1-\sqrt{x}[/tex]
Basically, the conjugate of a+b is a-b. When you multiply [tex]1+\sqrt{x}[/tex] by [tex]1-\sqrt{x}[/tex] you get [tex]1-x[/tex]. When you multiply a-b by a+b you get [tex]a^2-b^2[/tex] so you can see that if a and b are square roots, the square roots will vanish in the denominator. So multiplying by the top and the bottom will give you [tex]\frac{1}{1+\sqrt{x}}=\frac{(1-\sqrt{x})}{(1+\sqrt{x})(1-\sqrt{x})}=\frac{1-\sqrt{x}}{1-x}[/tex]
That is what you call rationalizing the denominator.

Now, for your question, the conjugate of [tex]\sqrt{1-x^2}+\sqrt{1+x^2}[/tex] will be...?
Oo.. i don't know that is called conjugate. >< By rationalizing the denominator with its conjugate, now i managed to solve the question! Thanks! ^^

Register to reply