Tags: elliptic, integral
Share this thread:
G01
Feb25-11, 01:12 PM
HW Helper
P: 2,685
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Sub problem from a much larger HW problem:

From previous steps we arrive at a complete elliptic integral of the second kind:

[tex]E(k)=\int_0^{\pi/2} dx \sqrt{1+k^2\sin^2x}[/tex]

In the next part of the problem, I need to expand this integral and approximate it by truncating at the first order term. (k is large)

2. Relevant equations

[tex]E(k) = \frac{\pi}{2} \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \left[\frac{(2n)!}{2^{2 n} (n!)^2}\right]^2 \frac{k^{2n}}{1-2 n}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I believe I should use the expansion quoted above.

Here is my question. Based of the previous steps I know that k^2 has to be large. Also, the sign of k^2 is opposite of what is is in the standard form of E(k).

So, 1. Does this expansion truncated at first order approximate the integral well if k^2 is large?

I think not. Is there another expansion, one for large k^2, that I can potentially use?

2. Can I just change the sign in the odd terms of the expansion to account for the sign change of k?

I think this should work.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Scientists develop 'electronic nose' for rapid detection of C. diff infection
Why plants in the office make us more productive
Tesla Motors dealing as states play factory poker
fzero
Feb25-11, 01:17 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 2,602
The expansion above is not valid for large [tex]k[/tex]. Simply rewrite

[tex]
E(k)=\int_0^{\pi/2} dx \sqrt{1+k^2\sin^2x} = \pm \int_0^{\pi/2} dx k \sin x\sqrt{1+\frac{1}{k^2\sin^2x}}
[/tex]

and expand this in [tex]1/k[/tex] yourself. Note that taking the square root introduces a sign ambiguity that should be chosen to give the correct sign to [tex]E(k)[/tex].
G01
Feb25-11, 03:05 PM
HW Helper
Quote Quote by fzero View Post
The expansion above is not valid for large [tex]k[/tex]. Simply rewrite

[tex]
E(k)=\int_0^{\pi/2} dx \sqrt{1+k^2\sin^2x} = \pm \int_0^{\pi/2} dx k \sin x\sqrt{1+\frac{1}{k^2\sin^2x}}
[/tex]

and expand this in [tex]1/k[/tex] yourself. Note that taking the square root introduces a sign ambiguity that should be chosen to give the correct sign to [tex]E(k)[/tex].
Hmm. This makes sense, however, it is only a good approximation when sin(x) is larger than 1/m.

However, the contributions to the integral in [0,1/m] are small, so can I fix the approximation by changing the lower bound on the integral to 1/m?

fzero
Feb25-11, 08:10 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 2,602
Elliptic Integral

Quote Quote by G01 View Post
Hmm. This makes sense, however, it is only a good approximation when sin(x) is larger than 1/m.

However, the contributions to the integral in [0,1/m] are small, so can I fix the approximation by changing the lower bound on the integral to 1/m?
I'd write the expansion as a power series, do the integrals and then check convergence.
G01
Mar1-11, 01:25 PM
HW Helper
Yeah you were right. The higher order terms don't necessarily converge with a lower bound of 1/m.

Checked with my prof. Looks like if you use 1/m as the lower bound and expand to first order, you get the correct result up to a multiplicative constant on the resulting ln(m) term.

I think can finish the rest of the problem now. Thanks fzero!

Register to reply