Very Simple Conceptual Question About Rolling

In summary, the discussion revolved around the concept of the velocity of a rolling wheel and its contact point. While the average velocity of the wheel is not zero, at any instantaneous moment, the contact point has a relative speed of zero. This is due to the fact that the contact point moves at the same speed as the wheel and the surface speed at the bottom of the wheel relative to the ground is zero. The conversation also referenced the concept of a cycloid, which is a curve traced by a point on the circumference of a circle as it rolls along a straight line.
Derezzed
Hello everybody,
I am having a hard time understanding a very simple principle involving a rolling wheel. I know that the velocity at the bottom "contact point" of a rolling wheel is zero relative to a stationary observer.. yet I don't see how this is true.
So I made a quick sketch and here is my reasoning: As the wheel rolls, it translates horizontally over time. The contact point is no exception. Thus it must have a non-zero velocity, otherwise the wheel is stationary. Basically, the 'delta d'/dt will give the velocity of the contact point, which is non-zero. Why am I wrong? Any light anybody could shed on the matter would be much appreciated!
http://img130.imageshack.us/img130/4258/rolling.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
At any instantaneous moment in time, the relative speed of point of the surface of the wheel in contact the ground is zero, this is different than the 'contact point', which is the point where the wheel touches the ground independent of movment at the wheels surface. The 'contact point' (often called 'contact patch' in the case of tires) moves at the same speed as the wheel. The wheel surface speed relative to the center of the wheel is the same as the speed of the wheel wrt the ground. The surface speed at the bottom of the wheel wrt ground is zero, while the surface speed at the of the wheel wrt ground is 2 times the wheels speed wrt ground.

Last edited:
Welcome to PF!

Hello Derezzed! Welcome to PF! :smile:

see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cycloid" , including the .gif :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks everybody for the quick and effective responses!

1. What is rolling?

Rolling is a type of motion where an object travels along a surface while rotating on an axis.

2. What is the difference between rolling and sliding?

The main difference between rolling and sliding is that rolling involves rotational motion while sliding does not. In rolling, the object rotates on an axis as it moves along a surface, whereas in sliding, the object simply moves without any rotational motion.

3. What factors affect how far an object will roll?

The distance an object will roll depends on several factors, including the initial force applied, the surface it is rolling on, and the shape and weight distribution of the object. Objects with a higher initial force and a more even weight distribution will generally roll further.

4. How does rolling friction differ from sliding friction?

Rolling friction is generally lower than sliding friction because it only occurs at the point of contact between the object and the surface, while sliding friction occurs along the entire area of contact. This is why it is easier to push a rolling object than to slide it.

5. What are some real-life examples of rolling?

Some common real-life examples of rolling include a ball rolling down a hill, a person riding a bicycle, a car moving on its wheels, and a rolling office chair. Any object that moves along a surface while rotating on an axis can be considered an example of rolling.