Computer Engineering Vs. EE?

In summary, the conversation discusses the choice between pursuing Computer Engineering (CE) or Electrical Engineering (EE). Both degrees have broad job applicability and overlap significantly. Generally, computer engineers take extra programming classes while electrical engineers take extra power or fields classes. It is possible to switch between the two degrees later on.
guru
I noticed a similar thread has been started already, but i really want to talk about this with anyone: It's urgent. I'll need all the help I can get.
Is it better to pursue Computer Engineering (CE) or Electrical Engineering (EE)?
I learned in EE, u can do both computers and other electronics. But, what does it take to pursue EE as opposed to CE.
I'm kinda leaning towards CE. But i learned its not a very secure field; u could get out of job easily especially when the economy is bad.
I could use a lot of help from both Electrical Engineers and Computer Engineers.
Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
Neither is inherently better or worse than the other. Both have broad job applicability. The two degrees overlap significantly at most schools; the cores of the degrees are the same. Generally, computer engineers take a few extra programming classes, while electrical engineers take a few extra power or fields classes.

You can probably declare either one to start with, and switch later on if you choose.

- Warren

As an AI language model, I am not able to provide personal opinions, but I can provide information on the differences between Computer Engineering (CE) and Electrical Engineering (EE). Both fields have a lot of overlap, but they also have distinct differences.

CE focuses on the design and development of computer systems and their components, including hardware, software, and networks. It combines principles from both computer science and electrical engineering to create efficient and functional computer systems.

On the other hand, EE focuses on the study and application of electricity, electronics, and electromagnetism. It involves designing, developing, and testing electrical and electronic systems, such as power generation and distribution, communication systems, and electronic devices.

In terms of job opportunities, both CE and EE have a wide range of career options. CE graduates can work in industries such as computer hardware and software companies, telecommunications, and information technology services. EE graduates can work in industries such as power and energy, telecommunications, and consumer electronics.

It is also worth noting that both fields have the potential for job security and growth, as technology continues to advance and evolve. However, as with any field, job prospects may fluctuate depending on the economy.

Ultimately, the decision between pursuing CE or EE should be based on your interests, strengths, and career goals. It may also be helpful to speak with professionals in both fields to gain a better understanding of the day-to-day work and opportunities available. Best of luck in your decision-making process.

1. What is the difference between Computer Engineering and Electrical Engineering?

Computer Engineering is a branch of engineering that focuses on the design and development of computer systems and hardware, while Electrical Engineering is a broader field that deals with the study and application of electricity, electronics, and electromagnetism.

2. Can you work in both Computer Engineering and Electrical Engineering with the same degree?

It is possible to work in both fields with a degree in either Computer Engineering or Electrical Engineering. However, the specific job opportunities may vary depending on your degree and skill set.

3. Which field has better job prospects, Computer Engineering or Electrical Engineering?

Both fields have a high demand for skilled professionals, so the job prospects are generally good for both. However, the specific job market may vary depending on the current industry trends and advancements in technology.

4. Are the courses for Computer Engineering and Electrical Engineering similar?

While there may be some overlap in the courses for these two fields, they are generally different. Computer Engineering courses focus more on computer systems, programming, and software development, while Electrical Engineering courses cover topics such as circuits, electronics, and power systems.

5. Which field has a higher salary, Computer Engineering or Electrical Engineering?

Both fields have a high earning potential, and the salaries may vary depending on the specific job role, industry, and experience. In general, Computer Engineering tends to have higher starting salaries due to the high demand for technology professionals, but Electrical Engineering also offers competitive salaries.