Solve Energy Stored Problem: 70kg Man, 85m Fall, 50m Bungee

• Thread starter Rampage
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Energy
In summary, the conversation involves a person asking for help with a physics problem involving a bungee rope. The problem asks to calculate the energy stored in the rope when a 70Kg man comes to rest 85m below the platform. The person is unsure about the formula to use and is stuck on the second part of the problem. The other person confirms their calculation of the force and suggests reading a resource for the second part.
Rampage
Im really stuck with this question, hoping someone could give me a hand :cry:

A bungee rope of unstretched length 50M is designed to allow a 70Kg man to come to rest 85m below the platform from which he jumps.

Calculate the energy stored in the rope when the man has come to rest. Ignore the weight of the rope.
(Gravitational field strength 9.8)

Calculate the gravitational potential energy lost by the man when he comes to rest.

Am i right to do
70 x 9.8 = 686N
Work Done = Force x Displacement
=24.1Kj?

Im not sure if I am using the correct formula, and I am totally stuck on the 2nd part :frown:

Physics news on Phys.org
Rampage said:
Am i right to do
70 x 9.8 = 686N

Yes, that's right so far

Work Done = Force x Displacement
=24.1Kj?

The displacement is wrong

Im not sure if I am using the correct formula, and I am totally stuck on the 2nd part :frown:

The second part is the key to the problem.

Try reading

http://id.mind.net/~zona/mstm/physics/mechanics/energy/gravitationalPotentialEnergy/gravitationalPotentialEnergy.html

Last edited by a moderator:

To solve this problem, we first need to calculate the total distance the man falls, which is 85m + 50m = 135m. Then, we can use the formula for potential energy, PE = mgh, where m is the mass (70kg), g is the gravitational field strength (9.8m/s^2), and h is the height (135m). Plugging in these values, we get PE = (70)(9.8)(135) = 92,430 J. This is the total gravitational potential energy lost by the man when he comes to rest.

As for the energy stored in the rope, we can use the formula for elastic potential energy, PE = 1/2kx^2, where k is the spring constant and x is the displacement. In this case, the displacement is the difference between the unstretched length (50m) and the stretched length (85m), which is 35m. The spring constant can be calculated by dividing the weight of the man (686N) by the displacement (35m), which gives us a value of 19.6 N/m. Plugging these values into the formula, we get PE = 1/2(19.6)(35)^2 = 12,740 J. This is the energy stored in the rope when the man has come to rest.

In summary, the man loses 92,430 J of gravitational potential energy, and the rope stores 12,740 J of elastic potential energy. I hope this helps you understand the problem better and solve it successfully.

1. How do you calculate the potential energy of a 70kg man falling 85m?

The potential energy of an object is calculated by multiplying its mass (m) by the acceleration due to gravity (g) and its height (h). In this case, the potential energy would be calculated as follows: PE = mgh = (70kg)(9.8m/s²)(85m) = 57,470 Joules.

2. What is the formula for calculating the gravitational potential energy of a falling object?

The formula for calculating the gravitational potential energy of an object is PE = mgh, where m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8m/s² on Earth), and h is the height of the object in meters.

3. How do you determine the elastic potential energy of a bungee cord?

The elastic potential energy of a bungee cord can be calculated using the formula PE = (1/2)kx², where k is the spring constant of the bungee cord and x is the displacement (change in length) of the cord from its equilibrium position. The spring constant can be determined by conducting experiments or by consulting a reference table.

4. What is the total energy of the system when a 70kg man falls 85m with a 50m bungee?

The total energy of the system would be the sum of the potential energy and the elastic potential energy. In this case, the total energy would be calculated as follows: Total Energy = PE + Elastic PE = (57,470 J) + (1/2)kx², where k is the spring constant of the bungee cord and x is the displacement of the cord from its equilibrium position (50m).

5. How can the energy stored in a bungee cord be used to safely stop a falling object?

The elastic potential energy of a bungee cord can be used to safely stop a falling object by converting the potential energy into kinetic energy as the cord stretches. This kinetic energy is then dissipated through friction and air resistance, gradually slowing down the falling object until it comes to a stop. The length of the bungee cord and the spring constant must be carefully chosen to ensure that the object is brought to a safe and gradual stop without causing injury.