Component vector method for resultant force

by argentnox
Tags: component, force, method, resultant, vector
Share this thread:
argentnox
Mar24-11, 05:39 PM
P: 2
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

An object has two ropes attached. One is on the x axis (positive) with a 60 lb force. One is 120* (Quadrant II) from the first rope with a 30 lb force. I have to find the resultant force and angle using the component vector method of addition NOT the parallelogram method.

2. Relevant equations

Fa + Fb = R

3. The attempt at a solution

I set up a table of components, but I am not sure if they are correct. I am just really confused as to how to approach this problem. I know how to do it using the parallelogram method, but it seems like some important piece of information is missing for doing it using the component vector method.

A=30 lb
B= 60 lb

Angle A=120*
Angle B=0*

Ax = ??
Bx = 60 lb

Ay = ??
By = 0
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Security CTO to detail Android Fake ID flaw at Black Hat
Huge waves measured for first time in Arctic Ocean
Mysterious molecules in space
tiny-tim
Mar25-11, 06:06 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 26,157
hi argentnox! welcome to pf!

(try using the X2 icon just above the Reply box )

to find the component in a direction, always multiply by cos of the angle to that direction
argentnox
Mar25-11, 12:49 PM
P: 2
Thank you, I will try that and see how I do. If it is okay, I will probably come back to make sure I got the correct answer. I figure if I got the answer correct, I must have done the work correctly. ;)

Register to reply