Relationship with a Christian

by pergradus
Tags: christian, relationship
pergradus
Apr19-11, 11:19 PM
P: 156
So I'm a physics student, obviously I don't believe in God or religion, and I can be pretty hostile towards it at times.

I recently met a girl who I'm pretty into, but she's deeply christian. I plan on "telling her how I feel" tomorrow, but I'm just wondering... do you think a lasting relationship between a physicist and a christian is possible? I mean, we have completely incompatible world views... but does that really matter?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Cougars' diverse diet helped them survive the Pleistocene mass extinction
Cyber risks can cause disruption on scale of 2008 crisis, study says
Mantis shrimp stronger than airplanes
Pengwuino
Apr19-11, 11:20 PM
PF Gold
P: 7,125
Probably, but you'll never know until you try it out.
pergradus
Apr19-11, 11:27 PM
Well I definitely plan on trying (if she doesn't reject me, but I'm pretty sure she's into me too). What kind of issues could you imagine would come up?

Evo
Apr19-11, 11:31 PM
Mentor
P: 25,959

Relationship with a Christian

Quote Quote by pergradus View Post
Well I definitely plan on trying (if she doesn't reject me, but I'm pretty sure she's into me too). What kind of issues could you imagine would come up?
She might expect you to convert. If she's a devout Christian, she will assume she is right and that you need to be saved.

Someone that is "deeply christian" as you described wont rest until you are "saved".

Either you give up what you believe or you give in. If she believed in a god, but didn't attend church, or not often, and didn't care that much, you'd be ok.

Good luck.
jhae2.718
Apr19-11, 11:32 PM
PF Gold
P: 1,153
Quote Quote by evo View Post
someone that is "deeply christian" as you described wont rest until you are "saved".
ctrl + s ?
Pengwuino
Apr19-11, 11:35 PM
PF Gold
P: 7,125
If she's a devout Christian, there's a high probability that that comes with a certain lifestyle and various beliefs. You can pretty much ask yourself what parts of her life might conflict with yours (children, marriage, church, family, political issues, etc). So basically the whole gambit of humanity. The real issue is what kind of person she is. She might demand you convert and have 10 kids and go to church every week or she might be totally cool with your lifestyle and not want kids or whatever. It totally depends on how her religious beliefs manifest themselves in her day to day life and in her conduct.
pergradus
Apr19-11, 11:45 PM
Hmm... well maybe its good to be upfront about some things with her. Also there's a lot more to this that I'm not telling you guys lol... things are much weirder than her just being christian and me just being a physics student.
JaWiB
Apr20-11, 12:43 AM
P: 289
but I'm just wondering... do you think a lasting relationship between a physicist and a christian is possible?
If not, it would certainly be problematic to be a physicist and also a Christian

I mean, we have completely incompatible world views... but does that really matter?
No, your core beliefs obviously don't matter at all in a relationship.
Dembadon
Apr20-11, 01:11 AM
PF Gold
P: 638
So I'm a physics student, obviously I don't believe in God or religion, and I can be pretty hostile towards it at times.

I recently met a girl who I'm pretty into, but she's deeply christian. I plan on "telling her how I feel" tomorrow, but I'm just wondering... do you think a lasting relationship between a physicist and a christian is possible? I mean, we have completely incompatible world views... but does that really matter?
I don't think it's a good idea. Relationships are challenging enough between two people with the same core beliefs.
Studiot
Apr20-11, 11:47 AM
P: 5,462
So I'm a physics student, obviously I don't believe in God or religion
I do know a former physics student in your position.

I am not sure if he in was originally religous, but he became disillusioned with physics and gave it up, without qualifying, and is certainly now a christian.
He is making a successful (paid) career in the voluntary sector.
The relationship blossomed and he also married the girl in question who has become a doctor.
As far as I can tell their relationship is pretty solid.

go well
BobG
Apr20-11, 11:52 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 2,275

A physicist and a Christian? Probably doesn't matter since one is a job and the other is a religion. Most Christians have nothing against science - only Christian fundamentalists.

An atheist and a Christian? Could be problems.

She's deeply Christian and you're so deeply atheistic that you assume a physics student "obviously" wouldn't believe in God? There will definitely be problems.

Especially if you have kids. What happens if she wants to brainwash the kids into being devout Christians? Wouldn't they grow up having the other math science students laugh at them? Wouldn't that completely rule out any possible career they would have in the math or sciences?

Don't get into a relationship with someone who's beliefs you'll wind up ridiculing - it's humiliating to the other person and they'll develop some serious resentment towards you.
Ivan Seeking
Apr20-11, 11:55 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,493

It is common for non-believer to marry believers. Whether your non-belief is science-based or otherwise is irrelevant. Don't be fooled by thinking a physics degree makes this situation unique. Also, faith and science are not mutually exclusive. That assumption is a falacy. There are plenty of religious scientists.

My father never believed in God and my mother was very religious. They were married until the time of my father's death - over fifty years. In fact, I knew a number of families in similar situations. It was fairly common for moms but not dads to be members of the faithful. The only qualifier would be that there is religious, and then there is RELIGIOUS. If she is a fundamentalist/evangelical, then you would probably have a tough challenge in making that relationship work.

It is also important to remember that many people go through periods of intense faith, esp when young, and later take a more moderate view.

I would also suggest that you don't take advice from people with a personal bias against religion. By definition they are biased and can't offer a balanced view.
Evo
Apr20-11, 11:57 AM
Mentor
P: 25,959
Hmm... well maybe its good to be upfront about some things with her. Also there's a lot more to this that I'm not telling you guys lol... things are much weirder than her just being christian and me just being a physics student.
Do tell!
pergradus
Apr20-11, 12:28 PM
Quote Quote by BobG View Post
A physicist and a Christian? Probably doesn't matter since one is a job and the other is a religion. Most Christians have nothing against science - only Christian fundamentalists.

An atheist and a Christian? Could be problems.

She's deeply Christian and you're so deeply atheistic that you assume a physics student "obviously" wouldn't believe in God? There will definitely be problems.

Especially if you have kids. What happens if she wants to brainwash the kids into being devout Christians? Wouldn't they grow up having the other math science students laugh at them? Wouldn't that completely rule out any possible career they would have in the math or sciences?

Don't get into a relationship with someone who's beliefs you'll wind up ridiculing - it's humiliating to the other person and they'll develop some serious resentment towards you.
I thought about that, but at the same time I can see some value in two people with opposing views being together - we could possibly gain some perspective from each other and maybe grow in ways we otherwise would not have.

Also she's definitely not hostile towards science, I actually met her at an observatory!

Anyways I don't wana go way over-board analyzing things and thinking about hypothetical situations when I only met her two weeks ago - but I guess I just made this thread for some reassurance?

@ Evo - I'll tell you more depending on how things go later today : )
Lichdar
Apr20-11, 12:35 PM
P: 6
I don't have any bitterness. You just left yourself wide open for that - you have no one to blame but yourself.

At any rate, there is little that I can say that IvanSeeking hasn't said better: almost anything can work, assuming that both parties can compromise. I remain uncomfortable that you seem to strongly be convinced that being a physicist is incompatible with being a Christian; one is a belief and one is a job.

Its definitely possible ot make it work with her, if she's also willing to see things form your perspective on occasion. It is, however, fraught with its perils especially if you're both very young.
pergradus
Apr20-11, 10:46 PM
Well things didn't work out. She shared my feelings, but said the bible tells her it's a sin to be with non-Christians and that it would lead to problems for her.

Oh well...
lisab
Apr20-11, 10:53 PM
Mentor
P: 2,917
Well things didn't work out. She shared my feelings, but said the bible tells her it's a sin to be with non-Christians and that it would lead to problems for her.

Oh well...
I'm sorry to hear that, pergradus !
pergradus
Apr20-11, 11:02 PM
It's OK. I'm not really hurt, just very disappointed, because I rarely get along with people and this was someone I met who I had a ten hour conversation with, and I know it will probably be years before I meet someone like that again.

Register to reply