Tension of two pieces of string

In summary, the problem is to find the tension of two pieces of string holding a 1Kg weight, with one string at a 70 degree angle from the horizontal and the other at a 20 degree angle. The tension values can be found by separating the force vectors into x and y components and setting them equal to the weight of the object. This can be solved using basic trigonometry and the equations T1 cos(70)= T2 cos(20) and T1 sin(70)+ T2 sin(20)= 9.8. The solution is T1= 9.21 N and T2= 3.35 N.
whatagun
I have an easy problem that most of u will answer easily (Yr 11 Physics).

I need to find the tension of two pieces of string that are holding a 1Kg weight.

Hopefully the picture below is easy to understand...there is a 70 degree angle from the horizontal for T1 and a 20 degree angle from the horizontal for T2, and obviously 90 degrees at the bottom. All I need is the tension values T1 and T2 and also an explanation of how to do it (please show all working out). Apparently it has something to with the horizontal and vertical force components?
T1 \ / T2
\ /
\90/
|
|
1Kg

Thanks a lot

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
well the picture didnt work, but u should be able to understand anyway that there's a 70 degree angle at the left and 20 degree angle at the right, and 90 at the bottom, thanks.

Is this the picture?
Code:
    \70)      (20/
     \          /
      \        /
    T1 \      / T2
        \    /
         \90/
          |
          |
         1Kg

yeah that's it, thanks.
so can anybody help please?

Separate the force vectors into x and y components: drawing a force diagram for the "T1" force, the y (vertical) component is "opposite" the 70 degree angle in a right triangle with T1 as hypotenuse, the y component is T1 sin(70) and the x component is T2 cos(70). Looking at the T2 force, where the angle is 20 degrees, the y component is
T2 sin(20) and the x component is T2 cos(20).

It is the y components that support the weight so they must add to 9.8 Newtons (1 kg times 9.8 m/s2):
T1 cos(70)+ T2 cos(20)= 9.8.

Since the the mass is not moving horizontally, the x components must balance (clearly one is to the left, the other to the right):
T1 sin(70)= T2 sin(20)

Solve those two equations to find T1 and T2.

(Notice that 20 degrees is a pretty small angle compared to 70 degrees. T2 should be holding most of the load!)

Thanks for that, but I had pretty much worked it out up to there...the main thing i had trouble with was how to work out the x and y-components...im not asking for the answer here I am just a bit stumped on the working out. Have I just completely overlooked the obvious here? I would have thought you would need to figure out how much of the 9.81N that pulls on the 2 wires is delivered vertically to each, but I can't seem to figure out how to do that.

I'm a little puzzled. Did you write your last post before or after reading my last post?
Tx
------- This is a diagram of left wire.
\70 | sin(70)= Ty/T1 so Ty= T1 sin(70)
\ | cos(70)= Tx/T1 so Tx= T1 cos(70)
T1\ | Ty
\ |
\ |
\ |
\|
The point that I made before was that the two y- components are what support the weight:
T1 sin(70)+ T2 sin(20)= 9.8
while the two x components (horizontal) must be equal in order to offset (so there is no motion

I'm a little puzzled. Did you write your last post before or after reading my last post?
Tx
------- This is a diagram of left wire.
\70 | sin(70)= Ty/T1 so Ty= T1 sin(70)
\ | cos(70)= Tx/T1 so Tx= T1 cos(70)
T1\ | Ty
\ |
\ |
\ |
\|
The point that I made before was that the two y- components are what support the weight:
T1 sin(70)+ T2 sin(20)= 9.8
while the two x components (horizontal) must be equal in order to offset (so there is no motion horizontally):
T1 cos(70)= T2 cos(20).

If your problem is how to solve these two equations- that easy:
From the second equation, T1 cos(70)= T2 cos(20) we get
T2= T1 (cos(70)/cos(20)).

Putting that into the first equation
T1 sin(70)+ T2 sin(20)= T1 sin(70)+ (T1(cos(70)/cos(20)))sin(20)= 9.8
T1( sin(70)+ cos(70)sin(20)/cos(20))= 9.8
According to my calculator sin(70)+cos(70)sin(20)/cos(20)= 1.06 so (1.06)T1= 9.8 or T1= 9.21 N. while T2= 9.21(cos(70)/cos(20))= 3.35 N.

(I don't know where my head was when I said "T2 should be holding most of the load". It's the opposite. I must have been thinking of the angles at the bottom of the triangle of wires.)

1. What factors affect the tension of two pieces of string?

The tension of two pieces of string is affected by several factors, including the length and thickness of the string, the material it is made of, and the weight or force applied to the string.

2. How does the angle of the string affect its tension?

The angle of the string can significantly impact its tension. When the angle between the two ends of the string is smaller, the tension is higher. As the angle increases, the tension decreases.

3. How do you calculate the tension of a string?

The tension of a string can be calculated using the formula T = F * sin(θ), where T is the tension, F is the force applied to the string, and θ is the angle between the two ends of the string.

4. Can the tension of a string be greater than the applied force?

No, the tension of a string can never be greater than the applied force. The tension is simply a reaction force to the applied force, and it can only be equal to or less than the applied force.

5. How does the type of knot used affect the tension of the string?

The type of knot used can have a significant impact on the tension of the string. Some knots, like the clove hitch, can reduce tension by as much as 50%. It is essential to choose a knot that will maintain the desired tension for the specific application.