Linear Algebra planes in 4d

by ctrlaltdel121
Tags: linear algebra, planes, vectors
Share this thread:
ctrlaltdel121
May9-11, 09:44 PM
P: 1
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I am given two lines in vector form in 4-space. I need to write an equation for the plane that is parallel to one line, and contains the other line.

2. Relevant equations
well i know that in 3d I would find a normal vector for the plane that would be perpendicular to both lines, and that would let me define the plane. However i am stumped because in 4-space there are an infinite amount of vectors that are perpendicular to both lines.

3. The attempt at a solution
I took the dot product of the vectors and got an infinite number of possible normals. I know one point on the plane from the line that is contained in the plane, all i need is another vector in the plane to define it but I cannot figure it out.

I didn't want to give the numbers here because i can find it out on my own once I am given some direction.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Physical constant is constant even in strong gravitational fields
Montreal VR headset team turns to crowdfunding for Totem
Researchers study vital 'on/off switches' that control when bacteria turn deadly
CompuChip
May10-11, 12:22 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 4,300
Quote Quote by ctrlaltdel121 View Post
However i am stumped because in 4-space there are an infinite amount of vectors that are perpendicular to both lines.
The same is true in three dimensions: all the vectors (0, 0, z) for z not equal to 0 are perpendicular to the (x, y) plane.
In this case, the space of vectors which is perpendicular to both lines is just two-dimensional, instead of one. For example, for the (x, y) plane the perpendicular vectors would be (0, 0, z, u) for z.u not equal to 0.

Register to reply