Register to reply

Continuity, given topologies.

by Slats18
Tags: continuity, topologies
Share this thread:
Slats18
May16-11, 02:01 AM
P: 47
Is the function f: R -> R, x -> x^2 continuous when the domain and codomain are given the Half interval topology? (Or Lower Limit topology).

I'm not sure where to go with this. On inspection, I know that the intervals are open sets, so preservance of open sets in preimages are defined for x > 0. But what if there is a set [x^2,x^2+r) that is in the negative part of the real line, there is no pre-image for this set. Is there something I'm missing, or just not realizing (most likely the second one)?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Climate change increases risk of crop slowdown in next 20 years
Researcher part of team studying ways to better predict intensity of hurricanes
New molecule puts scientists a step closer to understanding hydrogen storage
Hurkyl
May16-11, 02:37 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 16,099
Quote Quote by Slats18 View Post
But what if there is a set [x^2,x^2+r) that is in the negative part of the real line, there is no pre-image for this set.
Every set has a pre-image.

Is there something I'm missing
You don't seem to have missed any elements of the pre-image....

preservance of open sets in preimages are defined for x > 0
Proof?
Slats18
May16-11, 04:41 AM
It was only by inspection, assuming that any sets in the negative real line for this particular function don't have pre-images in the real line. If that assumption is wrong, then I've got nothing to go on to prove it's not continuous, so it must be, but that's a very weak justification.

micromass
May16-11, 09:10 AM
Mentor
P: 18,027
Continuity, given topologies.

Hi Slats18

Can you tell me what [tex]f^{-1}([x,x+r[)[/tex] is?
Slats18
May27-11, 06:42 AM
Sorry for the really late reply, been busy with other topological concerns, namely product topologies haha.

I'm completely blanking on this at the moment, no matter how interesting topology is, it just doesn't stick. Would it be [sqrt(x),sqrt(x) + r) ?
micromass
May27-11, 11:44 AM
Mentor
Not exactly. You'll need to figure out what f-1(x) and f-1(x+r) are (there are multiple values). Then you need to figure out what happens to the points between x and x+r...
Slats18
May29-11, 01:53 AM
On further, concentrated inspection, given [x,x+r) the pre-image of this is
( -(sqrt(x+r)),-(sqrt(x)) ]U[ sqrt(x),sqrt(x+r) )
which isn't open as -sqrt(x) is an element of the pre-image, but there is no r > 0 such that [-sqrt(x),r) is an element of the pre-image as well.
micromass
May29-11, 08:45 AM
Mentor
Looks right to me!!
Slats18
May29-11, 06:42 PM
Could it be also said, not neccessarily proven, that because the mapping is from R to R, the pre-image is not defined for certain R and hence, not continuous?
Ex: Take the interval [-1,0). The preimage of this is obviously in the complex plane, hence not in R.
micromass
May29-11, 06:48 PM
Mentor
Quote Quote by Slats18 View Post
Could it be also said, not neccessarily proven, that because the mapping is from R to R, the pre-image is not defined for certain R and hence, not continuous?
Ex: Take the interval [-1,0). The preimage of this is obviously in the complex plane, hence not in R.
The pre-image is always defined. The pre-image of the set you mention is empty:

[tex]f^{-1}([-1,0[)=\emptyset[/tex]
Slats18
May29-11, 07:16 PM
Ohh, duh, of course haha. My mistake, I'm doing topology and complex analysis so sometimes the two subjects mix haha.

Register to reply