Understanding Nodal and Mesh Analysis

by byrner42
Tags: analysis, mesh, nodal
byrner42
May26-11, 07:43 AM
P: 3
Hi guys,

I've referenced this forum many times so now its time to join!

My problem, I'm having trouble understanding Nodal and Mesh analysis (and when to use each one, and why), especially when inductors and capacitors are present.

For example here is a question that was proposed to me last semester in collage and I can't for the life of me find my previous solution and my head is wrecked!

Any help is greatly appreciated!

(Note if this is in wrong section, apologies, this is my first post =P)
Attached Thumbnails
Sample Question.JPG  
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
PsiKick's batteryless sensors poised for coming 'Internet of things'
Researcher launches successful tech start-up to help the blind
Researchers propose network-based evaluation tool to assess relief operations feasibility
KingNothing
May26-11, 08:43 AM
P: 949
You can actually use nodal or mesh analysis for any problem. They are interchangeable. There may be cases where it's easier to use one or the other, based on the number of loops and nodes.

For the problem you posted, you can actually model inductors and capacitors as frequency-dependent resistances. Do you remember how to do that?
byrner42
May26-11, 09:22 AM
KingNothing,

Yes I understand what you are talking about, but I'm not sure if I am able to do that mathematically.

Here is my attempt, and problem so far!
Attached Thumbnails
Attempt 1.jpg  

byrner42
May26-11, 11:17 AM

Understanding Nodal and Mesh Analysis

I have made no progress yet =P
Anyone out there have any ideas?
jegues
May26-11, 01:15 PM
P: 1,079
I'm having trouble understanding Nodal and Mesh analysis (and when to use each one, and why), especially when inductors and capacitors are present.
If you are trying to decide whether or not to apply Nodal or Mesh analysis, simply count the number of independent nodes/loops in the circuit. Also, take note of how many voltage/current sources there are as this may further simplify the nodal/mesh analysis.

With this you should be able to deduce which method will be the most efficient.

Quote Quote by byrner42 View Post
I have made no progress yet =P
Anyone out there have any ideas?
As KingNothing has already suggested,
you can actually model inductors and capacitors as frequency-dependent resistances.
Use impedances! Make a parallel combination of the impedances of the capacitor and the resistor, follow this up with a voltage divider and that should be enough to get the job done.

Register to reply