Register to reply

Close Packed Planes and Slip Systems

by DollarBill
Tags: packed, planes, slip, systems
Share this thread:
DollarBill
May29-11, 11:05 PM
P: 44
I posted this in "Materials & Chemical Engineering", but it seems a little more active here.

I'm confused with trying to find the slip systems of a simple cubic. I understand the slip plane would be along the plane with the highest atomic density (a close packed plane). But I don't quite get how to get the slip planes for a simple cubic if the planes aren't close packed and all planes are the same.

From what I get, a close packed plane should be tetrahedral.

Is what I said correct or am I just totally lost
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Experts defend operational earthquake forecasting, counter critiques
EU urged to convert TV frequencies to mobile broadband
Sierra Nevada freshwater runoff could drop 26 percent by 2100
Mapes
May30-11, 11:02 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 2,532
1. The slip plane is generally the closest-packed plane. The packing doesn't have to be perfect. (In BCC, for example, the slip plane is {110}, which isn't optimally packed.)

2. All planes aren't the same in simple cubic. {100}, {110}, {123} are all different, for example.

3. Isn't this kind of an academic exercise? Are there any ductile materials with a simple cubic structure?

Register to reply