Register to reply

Close Packed Planes and Slip Systems

by DollarBill
Tags: packed, planes, slip, systems
Share this thread:
DollarBill
May29-11, 11:05 PM
P: 44
I posted this in "Materials & Chemical Engineering", but it seems a little more active here.

I'm confused with trying to find the slip systems of a simple cubic. I understand the slip plane would be along the plane with the highest atomic density (a close packed plane). But I don't quite get how to get the slip planes for a simple cubic if the planes aren't close packed and all planes are the same.

From what I get, a close packed plane should be tetrahedral.

Is what I said correct or am I just totally lost
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Suddenly, the sun is eerily quiet: Where did the sunspots go?
'Moral victories' might spare you from losing again
Mammoth and mastodon behavior was less roam, more stay at home
Mapes
May30-11, 11:02 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 2,532
1. The slip plane is generally the closest-packed plane. The packing doesn't have to be perfect. (In BCC, for example, the slip plane is {110}, which isn't optimally packed.)

2. All planes aren't the same in simple cubic. {100}, {110}, {123} are all different, for example.

3. Isn't this kind of an academic exercise? Are there any ductile materials with a simple cubic structure?

Register to reply