Register to reply

E&M and beyond books for very mathematically adept

by Lanza52
Tags: adept, books, eandm, mathematically
Share this thread:
Lanza52
May30-11, 12:26 AM
P: 63
I'm looking for a Electricity and Magnetism (and beyond if possible) textbook that suits my capabilities better. I just read "Electric flux is proportional to the amount of electric field lines penetrating some surface" in my current textbook. I find that this is for the mathematical incapable. It tends to avoid any usage of integrals or derivatives.

I took Multivariable Calculus this past semester and did phenomenal. I'm extraordinarily good at understanding concepts and applying mathematics to describe the concept: ie what Calculus is all about. But that's not to say I'm good at math. I'm terrible with abstract math because I tend to approach everything by trying to understand the reality first and then letting the numbers fall into place.

So, back story aside; I'm looking for opinions about a textbook that is for the much more mathematically capable, but not one that says "flux is F dot dr" and leaves it as an abstraction. I guess a book that vividly explains the concept physically and then describes how it works with calculus without holding back in fear of offending the integral-challenged.

Any opinions?

Thanks!
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
World's largest solar boat on Greek prehistoric mission
Google searches hold key to future market crashes
Mineral magic? Common mineral capable of making and breaking bonds
transphenomen
May30-11, 02:34 AM
P: 52
For E&M A Student's Guide to Maxwell's Equations http://www.amazon.com/Students-Guide...ref=pd_sim_b_4 has both the integral and differential forms of the 4 Maxwell equations as well as explains why there is a dot product used in certain formulas as well as other del operators. It is at a slightly higher level than what most probably learn in Calc III, but it is very accessible to those who have taken it. The only thing it adds to a Calc III class is that it take surface integrals in spherical and cylindrical coordinates. It is a very small at about 130 pages of material, but it is far denser than most books you have probably seen and will take you a bit longer per page than normal, but it should be what you are looking for. And it's cheap too!
Daverz
May30-11, 12:25 PM
P: 893
The Feynman Lectures vol. 2. He explains the math in a physical fashion.

But there are many good undergraduate E&M texts that will also fit the bill. Search this forum for recommendations.

ParticleGrl
May30-11, 12:54 PM
P: 682
E&M and beyond books for very mathematically adept

Purcell is the way to go.
dextercioby
May30-11, 01:14 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 11,895
J.D. Jackson wrote a good book on classical electrodynamics. He uses pretty decent mathematics, not too much wording.
Daverz
May30-11, 02:27 PM
P: 893
Quote Quote by dextercioby View Post
J.D. Jackson wrote a good book on classical electrodynamics. He uses pretty decent mathematics, not too much wording.
Going directly from multivariable calculus to Jackson might be a bit of a stretch for the OP. I suppose it wouldn't hurt to check it out at the library.

Register to reply