Register to reply

So the tables have turned! ... What does that mean?!

by maverick_starstrider
Tags: None
Share this thread:
maverick_starstrider
Jun4-11, 12:53 PM
P: 1,164
Seriously, what is the origin of this phrase? Is it like one of those rotating tables at dim sum, or does "turning" mean flipping over like in a gun fight? I don't know. My best guess is it's referring to gambling when there's like a losing blackjack table or something and then a person suddenly starts winning... Anyone know the origin of this phrase? Wait, is it, again at a gambling table, when the dealer and the player switch (since the position is allocated on the table)?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Experts defend operational earthquake forecasting, counter critiques
EU urged to convert TV frequencies to mobile broadband
Sierra Nevada freshwater runoff could drop 26 percent by 2100
russ_watters
Jun4-11, 01:14 PM
Mentor
P: 22,302
http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/390300.html
maverick_starstrider
Jun4-11, 01:52 PM
Seriously? backgammon? Wow, I never want to use that phrase again.

turbo
Jun4-11, 01:58 PM
PF Gold
P: 7,363
So the tables have turned! ... What does that mean?!

When I was improving my chess game, I often played with my friend's brother, who was a genius at the game. He would get an advantage on me in materials and/or position, then turn the table (switch the board to swap our positions) to see if I understood how to exploit the situations that he had set up. It was quite a good way to learn under "live fire", as opposed to studying books on chess theory.
Jimmy Snyder
Jun4-11, 02:14 PM
P: 2,179
Quote Quote by turbo-1 View Post
When I was improving my chess game, I often played with my friend's brother, who was a genius at the game. He would get an advantage on me in materials and/or position, then turn the table (switch the board to swap our positions) to see if I understood how to exploit the situations that he had set up. It was quite a good way to learn under "live fire", as opposed to studying books on chess theory.
Me too. When I found myself losing, I would just turn the table thus ending the game and maintaining my undefeated status.
GeorginaS
Jun4-11, 03:14 PM
P: 380
Handy dandy site.
maverick_starstrider
Jun4-11, 04:08 PM
Although I suppose it's allegedly the oldest surviving game.
fluidistic
Jun4-11, 08:42 PM
PF Gold
P: 3,207
Quote Quote by turbo-1 View Post
I'd love to play with a grand master who would do this once per game :D

Register to reply