EE related Math topics/courses

• Thread starter niehaoma
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ee
In summary, The popular opinion among experienced individuals is that linear algebra is a fundamental course that should be required for any undergraduate electrical engineering program. It is also recommended to take advanced math courses in fields such as abstract algebra, PDEs, and probability for graduate-level EE specializations. Complex numbers are also important for courses on alternating theory and phasor manipulation.
niehaoma
I was wondering what the popular opinion is for intermediate and advanced Math courses relative to graduate-level Electrical Engineering degree. For instance, at some institutions basic Linear Algebra is NOT required for EE curriculum. Does anyone recommend taking Linear Algebra, or advanced Applied Math courses, to supplement a graduate level EE curriculum?

Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
From my experience taking graduate level EE courses I've needed to know some abstract algebra (probably the most useful thing to know), and secondly PDE's and probability. However my class experience is limited to random signals course and an advanced fields course.

EE is pretty broad, so which courses are useful depends upon your graduate specialization. Having said that, in my opinion all undergrad EE majors really should take linear algebra. Any school that does not force students to take it is simply not doing right by the students. If you didn't take it in undergrad then you must take it during grad school. It is just too fundamental.

After that, it can depend. For the "applied physics" sorts of specializations (electromagnetics, solid state, lasers, ...) partial differential equations and complex analysis are very useful. I knew some who took the "math methods" courses from physics departments. Many of the folks I know who specialized in "applied math" specializations (image processing, communications, statistical signal processing, ...) often took undergrad level real analysis courses, modern algebra, etc., and some took advanced probability, statistics, and/or stochastic processes from either math or Operations Research departments.

good luck,

jason

I would question the quality of education at any school that doesn't require a Linear Algebra course to be included in their Electrical Engineering program. In my experience, it has always been a required course in first term (or, at latest, second term) of first year for all engineering programs. Students need the background information provided by Linear Algebra to do the simultaneous equations that arise when they take Electric Circuit Analysis courses (mesh analysis, node analysis, etc.).

I suppose they could solve systems of 3 Equations in 3 Unknowns without knowing much Linear Algebra theory, but it is important to know it for more complicated systems. So the sooner it is taught, the better.

The same can be said for complex numbers. In my program, we took a whole course--one term--on complex numbers. It turned out to be very useful for the courses on alternating theory and all the phasor manipulation.

You will need algebra, calculus, differential equations, integral calculus, Fourier analysis, Laplace transforms, etc. Complex numbers are required: Z = R + jwL. for example.

1. What is the difference between linear and non-linear systems?

Linear systems are those in which the output is directly proportional to the input, while non-linear systems have a more complex relationship between input and output. In other words, in a linear system, the output can be determined by simply multiplying the input by a constant, while in a non-linear system, this is not the case.

2. What are the applications of complex numbers in electrical engineering?

Complex numbers are commonly used in circuit analysis, signal processing, and control systems. They allow for the representation of both real and imaginary components, making them useful for analyzing and manipulating AC circuits, which involve both resistive and reactive elements.

3. What is the Laplace transform and how is it used in electrical engineering?

The Laplace transform is a mathematical tool used to convert a function of time into a function of frequency. In electrical engineering, it is commonly used to solve differential equations in the frequency domain, which can then be transformed back into the time domain to obtain the solution to the original problem.

4. How does vector calculus apply to electromagnetic fields?

Maxwell's equations, which describe the behavior of electromagnetic fields, involve vector calculus. This allows for the analysis and manipulation of electric and magnetic fields in three-dimensional space, which is essential for understanding and designing electromechanical systems.

5. What is the difference between discrete and continuous signals?

Discrete signals are those that have a finite number of distinct values, while continuous signals have an infinite number of possible values. In electrical engineering, discrete signals are commonly used in digital systems, while continuous signals are used in analog systems. However, discrete signals can also be used to approximate continuous signals through techniques such as sampling and quantization.