Register to reply

Convert PDF Equations to Word Doc

by CC1925
Tags: convert, equations, word
Share this thread:
CC1925
Jun15-11, 11:23 AM
P: 1
Does anyone know of any software that can convert a PDF with complex equations to Word? Word uses cambriamath and products like adobe are not equipped to convert from PDF to Word.

The issue is this - we need to update many equations and charts which are currently in a PDF format. We need these to be editable documents. Any ideas?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Flapping baby birds give clues to origin of flight
Prions can trigger 'stuck' wine fermentations, researchers find
Socially-assistive robots help kids with autism learn by providing personalized prompts
MATLABdude
Jun15-11, 12:00 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 1,724
Welcome to PhysicsForums!

Unfortunately, unless you have the original LaTeX source for the documents (I'm assuming that the .PDFs were typeset in LaTeX) you probably won't be able to copy the equations (again, I'm assuming you have 'pretty' LaTeX equations, and not just a bunch of text) and make them editable in Word.

However, if you can select the text that forms the equation, you can then copy and paste it into Word's Equation Editor and reduce the amount of work required to re-create the equation.
gsal
Jun18-11, 06:50 AM
P: 880
Hhhhmmm...I have always just had the free Acrobat Reader that allows you to view PDF files, but I hear there is a full version of Acrobat that allows you to edit the PDF files...I wonder if you can open your file with such version and have an easier time editing or copying them.

Bill Simpson
Jun18-11, 12:21 PM
P: 1,037
Convert PDF Equations to Word Doc

Google
MathType PDF
and see if any of the things you find with that might show you that MathType can convert a pdf back into mathtype.

You could also politely call the MathType folks and see if they offer any hope.
MATLABdude
Jun18-11, 12:26 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 1,724
Quote Quote by gsal View Post
Hhhhmmm...I have always just had the free Acrobat Reader that allows you to view PDF files, but I hear there is a full version of Acrobat that allows you to edit the PDF files...I wonder if you can open your file with such version and have an easier time editing or copying them.
There is, but it's primarily for mark-up / commenting, and light editing (non-reflowed insertion of text, basic geometry, etc.) I've heard conflicting reports of whether or not you can paste in images (of say, an equation generated using a LaTeX to image program / website).

Larger-scale edits are easier using Illustrator (assuming you have a Creative Suite, and not just stand-alone Acrobat Pro).

Register to reply