Poisson distribution

by gfields
Tags: distribution, poisson
gfields
Jun20-11, 08:44 AM
P: 2
I need help with aPoisson distribution problem please. Question is: company capable of handling 5 calls every 10 min on new system. Prior to new system, company analysts determined incoming calls to the system are Poisson distributed w/ a mean equal to 2 every 10 min. what is the probability that in a 10 min period more calls will arrive than the system can handle?
Phys.Org News Partner Mathematics news on Phys.org
Researchers help Boston Marathon organizers plan for 2014 race
'Math detective' analyzes odds for suspicious lottery wins
Pseudo-mathematics and financial charlatanism
micromass
Jun20-11, 08:48 AM
Mentor
P: 16,518
Hi gfields!

What have you tried?

Obviously, we're going to work with a random variable X such that X is Poisson([itex]\lambda[/itex]) distributed. What do you think [itex]\lambda[/itex] is in this case?
gfields
Jun20-11, 07:14 PM
P: 2
I am taking this class online....no instructor...no interaction. I need some guidance on how to think this through. The book is helpful but still lacks clarity.

I understand that the mean before the old system was 2 calls for 10 minutes.

I need to define the segment unit to do the problem... 10 minutes??
The mean is already defined for me. 2
Defining the segment size would be next. I need some discussion here to understand exactly what to use.The event of interest would be P>5 correct?

Once this information is calculated.....the Poisson table can be used to find the probability and a comment on the adequacy of the new system can be made.

micromass
Jun20-11, 07:19 PM
Mentor
P: 16,518

Poisson distribution

Quote Quote by gfields View Post
I am taking this class online....no instructor...no interaction. I need some guidance on how to think this through. The book is helpful but still lacks clarity.

I understand that the mean before the old system was 2 calls for 10 minutes.

I need to define the segment unit to do the problem... 10 minutes??
Good!

The mean is already defined for me. 2
Also good.

Defining the segment size would be next. I need some discussion here to understand exactly what to use.The event of interest would be P>5 correct?
Indeed, you'll need to calculate [itex]P\{X>5\}[/itex]. You can use tables to calculate this, but you can also do it by hand easily:

[itex]P\{X>5\}=1-P\{X\leq 5\}=1-e^{-2}(1+2+\frac{2^2}{2!}+\frac{2^3}{3!}+\frac{2^4}{4!}+\frac{2^5}{5!})[/itex]

Register to reply