Register to reply

Permeability, permittivity and susceptibility

Share this thread:
luitzen
Jun28-11, 06:39 AM
P: 50
I got a little confused of these three things by my teacher and Griffiths.

I am acquaintanced with Feynman's lectures on physics and what I get from there is [itex]\epsilon=\epsilon_{r}\epsilon_{0} = \left(1+\chi\right)\epsilon_{0}[/itex]

For some reason Griffiths, as well as my teacher, likes to use [itex]\mu_{0}[/itex], where [itex]\mu_{0} = \dfrac{1}{\epsilon_{0}c^{2}}[/itex].

Now I'd assume [itex]\mu=\dfrac{1}{\epsilon c^{2}}[/itex] and thus [itex]\mu=\dfrac{1}{\epsilon_{r}\epsilon_{0}c^{2}} = \dfrac{1}{\epsilon_{r}}\mu_{0}=\left(1+\chi\right)^{-1}\mu_{0}[/itex]

But apparently (Wikipedia, Griffiths, etc.) [itex]\mu=\left(1+\chi\right)\mu_{0}[/itex]

So what should it be?

And why do they use [itex]\mu[/itex] at all? It seem rather inconvenient to me, since they keep writing stuff like [itex]\sqrt{\dfrac{1}{\epsilon_{0}\mu_{0}}}[/itex] instead of c.
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
UCI team is first to capture motion of single molecule in real time
And so they beat on, flagella against the cantilever
Tandem microwave destroys hazmat, disinfects
Born2bwire
Jun28-11, 06:45 AM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 1,777
\mu and \epsilon are different things. Permittivity is related to the material response to an applied electric field. Permeability is related to the material response to a magnetic field. They do not share the same susceptibility and only in free space can you assume that the product of the two is equal to c^-2.
luitzen
Jun28-11, 07:44 AM
Ok, thank you very much.

Then I think I'm gonna stick with [itex]\mu[/itex] for the test and find out what it exactly means later.

Blibbler
Jun28-11, 10:52 AM
P: 61
Permeability, permittivity and susceptibility

Don't you find it beautiful that c is defined as the reciprocal of the square root of the product of two truly fundamental constants of nature?

That identity tells you what c is - it's the speed at which an electromagnetic wave can propagate through free space and it is governed only by the electrical permittivity and the magnetic permeability of free space.

I find it jaw dropping.
luitzen
Jun28-11, 03:03 PM
I always saw the speed of light as something that was just known and I thought that permeability was used because it showed up often with permittivity and physicists are lazy. Now I realize that permeability and permittivity are something entirely different. That doesn't mean I now understand what it means, but it's at least a start.

I just started reading a book "Space, time and relativity" by Engel Roza and now I also know that the speed of light was first determined, by Maxwell, using [itex]\mu_{0}[/itex] and [itex]\epsilon_{0}[/itex]

PS does anyone know why my TeX isn't displayed correctly in my first post? I can't find a mistake, but maybe someone else can.
PPS adding spaces did miracles.

Register to reply