After giancoli physics what other books can i try?

In summary, the conversation recommends that the person should continue studying physics during the summer and suggests different textbooks depending on their level of math. If they have not taken calculus, it is recommended to do so before moving on to a calculus-based physics text. Some options for second-year physics texts are mentioned, as well as recommendations for learning relativity. Finally, it is suggested to learn calculus with the book "Calculus Made Easy" before diving into more advanced physics texts.
nobelium102
so...i have just finished my giancoli physics and i want to do more physics during summer
any recomendation?
Mind you that i have only done grade 12 advanced functions so if you want to recommend any math textbooks as well it will help me alot

Physics news on Phys.org
We'll be glad to help, but you haven't been clear on where you are. Which Giancoli did you read, the algebra version, or the calculus version? And what math have you taken? "Advanced functions" could be anything. Try relating your level to something used outside of your high school, like Calculus AB.

But to save some time, if you haven't taken calculus, then that's your next step (or precalculus first, if you need it), and then you can read a calculus-based physics text. Calculus will allow you to actually derive physical principles, rather than just memorize them.

If you already know calculus, and you have finished Giancoli's calculus-based text, then you have several options. You should look at the websites of the physics departments of colleges you are interested in, and see what texts they use for second year students, but popular texts for the next level up in mechanics are Kleppner or John Taylor, and for E&M is Purcell (Berkeley Course Vol 2).

Another common second-year course for students who have finished a calculus-based intro physics sequence is an "Introduction to Modern Physics" course, using something like this book:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/013805715X/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Last edited by a moderator:
oh my bad
its Giancoli Physics 5th edition (inside cover says principles with applications) with a skier on the cover

Thanks for the reply

That's the algebra-based Giancoli book. The calculus based one is "Physics for Scientists & Engineers with Modern Physics".

So it looks like your next step is to learn some calculus.

brocks said:
If you already know calculus, and you have finished Giancoli's calculus-based text, then you have several options. You should look at the websites of the physics departments of colleges you are interested in, and see what texts they use for second year students, but popular texts for the next level up in mechanics are Kleppner or John Taylor, and for E&M is Purcell (Berkeley Course Vol 2).

Giancoli is mostly a crappy plug-in book that teaches formulas rather than concepts, so I guess now the healing can begin :-)

Kleppner and Purcell are very good books for students who have extremely strong mathematical preparation, but it sounds like Nobelium doesn't know calculus, so I think that's a bad match.

Nobelium, if you're interested in learning some relativity, some books I like are (from easiest to hardest):
Takeuchi, An Illustrated Guide to Relativity
Mermin, It's About Time: Understanding Einstein's Relativity
Taylor and Wheeler, Spacetime Physics
The nice thing about relativity is that it can be understood with a minimum of math. Takeuchi and Mermin barely even use basic algebra.

If you can learn some calculus, you will have a much larger selection of higher-quality physics books you can use. Rather than wading through a 1000-page doorstop of a calc book, I'd recommend Calculus Made Easy by Silvanus Thompson.

ah gee thank you guys

1. What is the best book to use after Giancoli Physics?

It ultimately depends on your learning style and the level of physics you are studying. Some popular choices include "University Physics" by Young and Freedman, "Fundamentals of Physics" by Halliday, Resnick, and Walker, and "Physics for Scientists and Engineers" by Serway and Jewett. It is recommended to browse through a few different options and see which one suits your needs best.

2. Are there any books that cover advanced topics not included in Giancoli Physics?

Yes, there are several books that cover more advanced topics in physics. Some examples include "Classical Mechanics" by Goldstein, "Introduction to Electrodynamics" by Griffiths, and "Quantum Mechanics" by Shankar. These books may be more suitable for students who are pursuing a higher level of physics or for those interested in specific branches of physics.

3. Can I use a book from a different author or publisher after studying Giancoli Physics?

Yes, you can definitely use a book from a different author or publisher. While Giancoli Physics is a popular choice, there are many other textbooks available that cover similar topics and may offer a different perspective or approach to the material. It is always beneficial to explore different resources to enhance your understanding of physics.

4. Is there a book that provides more practice problems after studying Giancoli Physics?

Yes, there are books specifically designed for additional practice problems in physics. Some examples include "Schaum's Outline of College Physics" by Bueche and Hecht, "Physics for Scientists and Engineers: A Strategic Approach" by Knight, and "Problems in General Physics" by Irodov. These books can provide more challenging problems to further solidify your understanding of the concepts.

5. Can I find online resources to supplement my learning after studying Giancoli Physics?

Yes, there are many online resources available such as videos, interactive simulations, and practice problems that can complement your studies after using Giancoli Physics. Some popular websites include Khan Academy, Physics Classroom, and Physics Stack Exchange. These resources can provide additional explanations and examples to help you grasp the material more effectively.