Complex electric field vectors

by capandbells
Tags: complex, electric, field, vectors
Share this thread:
capandbells
Jul2-11, 04:57 PM
P: 96
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
I'm trying to figure out the heat dissipation in a volume V due to an incident harmonic electric field.
I know
[tex]
Q = \frac{1}{2}\int_V\mathrm{Re}\left(\mathbf{j}^{*} \cdot \mathbf{E}\right) d^3x
[/tex]
[tex]
= \frac{1}{2}\int_V\mathrm{Re}\left(\left(\sigma \mathbf{E}\right)^{*} \cdot \mathbf{E}\right) d^3x
[/tex]

My biggest problem is that I don't know how to evaluate that dot product. If someone could please either explain it or link me to a resource that explains working with complex vectors, I would appreciate it. I haven't taken an EM class yet and I've never had it explained elsewhere how to operate with complex vectors, so I am mostly flailing around with this stuff.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Physical constant is constant even in strong gravitational fields
Montreal VR headset team turns to crowdfunding for Totem
Researchers study vital 'on/off switches' that control when bacteria turn deadly
Redbelly98
Jul3-11, 02:54 PM
Mentor
P: 12,074
It depends, is [itex]\sigma[/itex] a scalar or a tensor?

If it's a scalar, this is pretty straightforward. Since [itex]\sigma \mathbf{E}^* = ( \sigma E_x^*, \sigma E_y^*, \sigma E_z^* ) [/itex], try dotting that with E and see what you get.
capandbells
Jul3-11, 04:10 PM
Sigma (the complex conductivity) is a scalar. Anyway, I think this dot product should be
[tex]
\sigma(E_x^2,E_y^2,E_z^2)
[/tex]
but it seems weird to have E^2 as opposed to |E|^2 for complex numbers.

Redbelly98
Jul3-11, 06:48 PM
Mentor
Complex electric field vectors

Quote Quote by capandbells View Post
Sigma (the complex conductivity) is a scalar.
Okay, good.

Anyway, I think this dot product should be
[tex]
\sigma(E_x^2,E_y^2,E_z^2)
[/tex]
That's incorrect. Can you show how you came up with that?
capandbells
Jul3-11, 07:02 PM
[tex]
( \sigma \mathbf{E})^{*} \cdot \mathbf{E} = ( ( \sigma E_x)^{*}, ( \sigma E_y)^{*}, ( \sigma E_x)^{*}) \cdot (E_x, E_y, E_z) = (( \sigma E_x)^{*})^{*}(Ex) + (( \sigma E_y)^{*})^{*}(E_y) +(( \sigma E_y)^{*})^{*}(E_z)
[/tex]
[tex]
= ( \sigma E_x)(E_x) + ( \sigma E_y)(E_y) + ( \sigma E_z)(E_z) = \sigma (E_x^2 + E_y^2 + E_z^2)
[/tex]
Redbelly98
Jul3-11, 07:12 PM
Mentor
Okay.

The way I learned it, a dot product does not involve taking the complex conjugate of the first vector. So actually you would get terms like Ex*Ex, etc., and you'd end up with σ|E|2.

Note that heat dissipation Q should be a real number (right?).
Antiphon
Jul3-11, 08:48 PM
P: 1,781
The expression for energy invloves a conjugate so that energy is real. The dot product is a vector operation and doesn't care if the components are complex or not.
Reloaded47
Jul20-11, 11:14 AM
P: 3
lets just go from basics, step by step, assuming everything is complex

(sigma E)* . E
where E(vector) and sigma(scalar) are complex

(sigma)* E* . E = sigma* |E|^2

or

sigma* (Ex*, Ey*, Ez*).(Ex, Ey, Ez) = sigma* [|Ex|^2+|Ey|^2+|Ez|^2] = sigma* |E|^2

must take modulus of the field and its components

Register to reply