Force of neodymium magnet inside a electromagnetic coil

In summary, the speaker is trying to design an electric gear shift for a motorbike and is looking for help with calculating the number of turns of wire, current, and gauge of wire for the coil. They plan to use a tube neodymium magnet with specific dimensions and a recoil spring. They also mention seeking help on a forum if they do not receive a response.
alastairgig
Hey guys,
Im trying to design a electric gear shiftier for a motor bike. Basically I require about 200N of force to change gear with a 10mm throw (in both directions). I would like to use a tube neodymium magnet. (23mm diameter 25mm high with a 5mm hole throw the centre with a N48 grade)
What I need help with is calculating the number of turns of wire, the current and gauge of wire of the coil. I will be using 12V supply and I am limited to 60amps current draw.
So the magnet will be placed in the middle of the 45mm long coil and the direction of current flow will be changed to make the magnet travel in one direction or the other to change up and down. The magnet will return to the centre of the coil via a recoil spring.

Any help will be greatly appropriated.
Thanks so much guys
Alastair

Physics news on Phys.org
If you don't get an answer you might want to try posting in the Engineering sections of Physics Forums.

What is a neodymium magnet and how does it work?

A neodymium magnet is a type of permanent magnet made from an alloy of neodymium, iron, and boron. It is known for its strong magnetic field and is commonly used in various applications such as motors, speakers, and magnetic fasteners. Neodymium magnets work by aligning the magnetic domains of the atoms in the material, creating a strong magnetic field.

What is an electromagnetic coil and how does it work with a neodymium magnet?

An electromagnetic coil is a coil of wire that produces a magnetic field when an electric current is passed through it. When a neodymium magnet is placed inside an electromagnetic coil, the magnetic field from the magnet interacts with the magnetic field created by the coil, resulting in a force that can be harnessed for various purposes.

What factors affect the force of a neodymium magnet inside an electromagnetic coil?

The force of a neodymium magnet inside an electromagnetic coil can be affected by several factors, including the strength of the magnetic field of the magnet, the strength of the electric current passing through the coil, and the distance between the magnet and the coil.

What are the advantages of using a neodymium magnet inside an electromagnetic coil?

The use of a neodymium magnet inside an electromagnetic coil allows for efficient conversion of electrical energy into mechanical energy, making it useful in various applications such as motors and generators. Neodymium magnets also have a strong magnetic field, allowing for a greater force to be generated when used with an electromagnetic coil.

What are some common applications of using a neodymium magnet inside an electromagnetic coil?

Some common applications of using a neodymium magnet inside an electromagnetic coil include electric motors, generators, loudspeakers, and magnetic levitation systems. Additionally, this combination can also be used in medical devices, magnetic separators, and magnetic bearings.