Register to reply

Find subgroups of finitely generated abelian groups

by spicychicken
Tags: abelian, finitely, generated, groups, subgroups
Share this thread:
spicychicken
Jul19-11, 11:47 AM
P: 3
Is there an "easy" method to finding subgroups of finitely generated abelian groups using the First Isomorphism Theorem? I seem to remember something like this but I can't quite get it.

For example, the subgroups of [itex]G=Z_2\oplus Z[/itex] are easy...you only have [itex]0\oplus nZ[/itex] and [itex]Z_2\oplus nZ[/itex] for [itex]n\geq 0.[/itex]

But if you have a different group, say [itex]G=Z_6\oplus Z_4[/itex], it's possible the subgroups aren't of the form [itex]<a>\oplus<b>[/itex] correct? Like <(2,2)>.

How would you describe all the subgroups? I can do it by brute force..I'm looking for an quick easier asnwer if one exists...even in only some situations

EDIT: maybe this makes more sense if I only need to know subgroups of a specific index?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
World's largest solar boat on Greek prehistoric mission
Google searches hold key to future market crashes
Mineral magic? Common mineral capable of making and breaking bonds
micromass
Jul19-11, 12:16 PM
Mentor
P: 18,039
It seems you're looking for the subgroup lattice of finitely generated abelian groups?

Well, the following article may help: http://www.google.be/url?sa=t&source...5OYWYg&cad=rja

Also keep in mind that if G and H are groups such that gcd(|G|,|H|)=1, then
[itex]Sub(G\times H)\cong Sub(G)\times Sub(H)[/itex]

So in your example
[tex]Sub(\mathbb{Z}_6\times \mathbb{Z}_4)\cong Sub(\mathbb{Z}_3)\times Sub(\mathbb{Z}_2\times \mathbb{Z}_4)[/tex]

so you only need to find the subgroups of [itex]\mathbb{Z}_2\times \mathbb{Z}_4[/itex]. The cyclic subgroups of this group are
[tex]\{(0,0)\},<(1,0)>,<(0,1)>,<(0,2)>,<(1,1)>,<(1,2)>[/tex]
so all the subgroups are just products of the above groups.

Register to reply