Register to reply

Aileron-Air crafts/Rockets control theory

Share this thread:
ameeno97
Aug2-11, 06:30 AM
P: 34
Hi all

I have majored in mechanical engineering and I have taken some basic control courses in the universities so I am wondering how to control the aileron on an air craft or fins on a rocket so as to get the path you want.

example : you want to change the air craft path to move up 10 degree (go upward to certain height) by changing the aileron position.

As a mechanical engineer, of course I know the lift and drag equations.

I know little about Inertial navigation and these things but I am ready to read every thing that could help me understanding, so do you have any experience on these area of control?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Hoverbike drone project for air transport takes off
Earlier Stone Age artifacts found in Northern Cape of South Africa
Study reveals new characteristics of complex oxide surfaces
viscousflow
Aug2-11, 01:19 PM
P: 273
Quote Quote by ameeno97 View Post
example : you want to change the air craft path to move up 10 degree (go upward to certain height) by changing the aileron position.
Wrong, the control surface for this is the elevator. The aileron controls rolling (banking) maneuvers this is performed by the control system whether it be fly by wire or cable. Inertial navigation is controlled by a host of sensors and satellites.
ameeno97
Aug2-11, 02:25 PM
P: 34
Quote Quote by viscousflow View Post
Wrong, the control surface for this is the elevator. The aileron controls rolling (banking) maneuvers this is performed by the control system whether it be fly by wire or cable. Inertial navigation is controlled by a host of sensors and satellites.
Sorry not to be accurate on my example, aileron is to control rolling motion,rudder for yaw axis and elevator for pitch, am I right now? :)

viscousflow
Aug2-11, 04:58 PM
P: 273
Aileron-Air crafts/Rockets control theory

Correct.

Register to reply