Register to reply

Would greater electricity affect a gravitational field created by an electromagnet?

Share this thread:
Randomguy96
Aug2-11, 07:59 AM
P: 1
So I'm sitting here, reading about different ways to create gravitational fields as well as messing around with random thoughts and ideas, and this question comes to mind: Would greater electricity affect a gravitational field created by an electromagnet? Anyone who knows? I'd really like to know, seeing as how i can't figure out myself, even if my own guess would be yes.
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Symphony of nanoplasmonic and optical resonators produces laser-like light emission
Do we live in a 2-D hologram? New Fermilab experiment will test the nature of the universe
Duality principle is 'safe and sound': Researchers clear up apparent violation of wave-particle duality
LostConjugate
Aug2-11, 10:29 AM
P: 842
More Amps? Yes, gravity is proportional to energy density, so the more energy you have in some volume the stronger the gravitational force is.
chrisbaird
Aug2-11, 10:32 AM
P: 617
Mass creates gravitational fields, not electric charge. Increasing the electric current through an electromagnet will increase the magnetic field, but do nothing to the gravitational field. To increase the gravitational field produced by an object, you would increase its mass. The force of gravity and the electromagnetic force are independent according to our current understanding.

LostConjugate
Aug2-11, 10:36 AM
Would greater electricity affect a gravitational field created by an electromagnet?

Quote Quote by chrisbaird View Post
Mass creates gravitational fields, not electric charge. Increasing the electric current through an electromagnet will increase the magnetic field, but do nothing to the gravitational field. To increase the gravitational field produced by an object, you would increase its mass. The force of gravity and the electromagnetic force are independent according to our current understanding.
Increasing current increases energy which is equivalent to mass.

http://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=515899
Bloodthunder
Aug2-11, 11:10 AM
P: 174
Quote Quote by LostConjugate View Post

Increasing a current does not increase mass of wire. Otherwise, superconductors would be nearly infinite in mass.
LostConjugate
Aug2-11, 11:30 AM
Quote Quote by Bloodthunder View Post
Increasing a current does not increase mass of wire. Otherwise, superconductors would be nearly infinite in mass.
It increases the energy density.
QuantumPion
Aug2-11, 11:33 AM
P: 778
Superconductors do not have infinite current, they have zero resistance.
Ryan_m_b
Aug2-11, 12:17 PM
Mentor
P: 5,469
Quote Quote by Randomguy96 View Post
So I'm sitting here, reading about different ways to create gravitational fields as well as messing around with random thoughts and ideas, and this question comes to mind: Would greater electricity affect a gravitational field created by an electromagnet? Anyone who knows? I'd really like to know, seeing as how i can't figure out myself, even if my own guess would be yes.

The implication here clearly being that if you want to increase the gravitational attraction of a wire it would be simpler just to add the required mass.
LostConjugate
Aug2-11, 01:11 PM
Quote Quote by ryan_m_b View Post
The implication here clearly being that if you want to increase the gravitational attraction of a wire it would be simpler just to add the required mass.
Creating mass is not so simple, but if you have some lying around sure.
Ryan_m_b
Aug2-11, 02:04 PM
Mentor
Creating mass is not so simple, but if you have some lying around sure.
I didn't mean creating mass, I meant adding mass. I.e. if the OP want's his wire to have X gravitational well then it's going to be far easier to just get mass from elsewhere and wrap it around the wire than trying to increase the energy density.
Bloodthunder
Aug2-11, 07:45 PM
Quote Quote by QuantumPion View Post
Superconductors do not have infinite current, they have zero resistance.
Yes, I know. Critical current and all that, which is really high. Yet you don't see the weight of wire increasing.

And I still don't get what energy density of the wire has to do with anything.
Ryan_m_b
Aug3-11, 02:34 AM
Mentor
Yes, I know. Critical current and all that, which is really high. Yet you don't see the weight of wire increasing.

And I still don't get what energy density of the wire has to do with anything.
Because e=mc2, mass and energy have the same gravitational effect.
Bloodthunder
Aug3-11, 08:36 AM
Well, for one, you need ~90 TJ of energy to increase the mass by just 1 gram. Also, you can't just make mass appear just like that. Pair production occurs occasionally, yes, but the anti-matter, being in such close proximity to everything else, would just hit some other matter to become energy again. And energy itself has no mass to speak of, and hence provides nothing to the gravitational field.
Ryan_m_b
Aug3-11, 08:58 AM
Mentor
Well, for one, you need ~90 TJ of energy to increase the mass by just 1 gram. Also, you can't just make mass appear just like that. Pair production occurs occasionally, yes, but the anti-matter, being in such close proximity to everything else, would just hit some other matter to become energy again. And energy itself has no mass to speak of, and hence provides nothing to the gravitational field.
Who were you responding to here?, no one is suggesting creating mass. Something does not have to have mass to have a gravitational field, photons are a good example of this.

EDIT: I retract that, I may be under a big misunderstanding. Anyone know the proper answer to this and why?
LostConjugate
Aug3-11, 10:03 AM
Quote Quote by ryan_m_b View Post
Who were you responding to here?, no one is suggesting creating mass. Something does not have to have mass to have a gravitational field, photons are a good example of this.

EDIT: I retract that, I may be under a big misunderstanding. Anyone know the proper answer to this and why?
Photons are a perfect example. They have mass proportional to their frequency (energy).
Bloodthunder
Aug3-11, 10:48 AM
It is not proven that photons have any mass. While photons are affected by gravity, it is explained to be due to the curvature of space-time by massive objects (General Relativity). Another thing probably suggest photons by themselves do not have gravitational fields are that they do not attract and stick to each other. Instead, the 2 photons interact like waves that pass through each other without much effect.

I do understand that one uses the energy of a photon, convert it to mass, and then calculate the angle of deflection due to the massive object. However, this doesn't in anyway say that the photon produces any gravitational field of its own.
LostConjugate
Aug3-11, 11:47 AM
It is not proven that photons have any mass.
It is not? Have you heard of a solar sail?
Ryan_m_b
Aug3-11, 11:51 AM
Mentor
It is not? Have you heard of a solar sail?
I thought that worked through the transfer of momentum? Not because photons have mass...

Register to reply