Outlooks on LQG?

by romsofia
Tags: outlooks
romsofia
Aug6-11, 02:49 AM
P: 262
Well this upcoming year will be my last year of high school (yes I'm think WAY ahead). Anyways, I was thinking about grad school, and I've been looking into LQG (loop quantum gravity) and am thinking, that I will probably want to do research in something in that field. However, I've read that the outlook on LQG is not very good, and that it could be "dis-proven" (not sure if that's the right word for this case) in 10 years, if not sooner!

So my question is, will LQG be around for longer than 10 years? If it looks like LQG will be out of the picture within 10 years, can you guys suggest similar fields (outside string theory) that have good outlooks for the future?

Thanks for any help!
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Scientists pinpoint when harmless bacteria became flesh-eating monsters
Asian air pollution affect Pacific Ocean storms
Rocket leak delays space station delivery launch (Update)
Clever-Name
Aug6-11, 10:48 AM
P: 380
No way to know, we'll just have to wait and see what happens in 10 years. And odds are theoretical physics might change drastically over the next 10 years as well. String Theory might not even be in the picture anymore, there could be some new brand new theory that is dominating.

You can't make a life decision this early in your post-secondary career. Your interests now will likely change over the next 5 years before you hit graduate school, and even then you'll probably have no clue what you really want to study. The best you can do is keep your options opening by preparing yourself as well as you can throughout your undergrad.

Register to reply