Does NASA Ames Research Center have a graduate school?

In summary, Chris McKay confirmed that NASA does accept graduate students, but further information can be found by contacting universities or checking for available programs such as GSRP. There is no graduate school at NASA, so students must be enrolled in a university to receive their degree. The link provided on the Ames page for the "Graduate Student Researchers Program" may have been for researchers who have connections with universities and serve as research advisors to graduate students, but it is no longer active. This connection between universities and research facilities can help students find research projects and contribute to the facility's reputation.
Simfish
Gold Member
Chris McKay told me that they do take grad students, but I can't find any more information on the Internet (the Ames page points to a dead link for the "Graduate Student Researchers Program") - see http://hr.arc.nasa.gov/student/gradfaculty.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
They do not have a graduate school. Only universities have graduate schools.

Simfish said:
Chris McKay told me that they do take grad students, but I can't find any more information on the Internet (the Ames page points to a dead link for the "Graduate Student Researchers Program") - see http://hr.arc.nasa.gov/student/gradfaculty.html

NASA, National Labs, NIST, etc. do not grant any degrees. This doesn't mean that there are no graduate students working at these facilities. But these graduates students are enrolled in various universities, and do their research work at these facilities.

Zz.

Last edited by a moderator:
I suspect the link may have been to researchers who have had connections with universities and served as a research advisor to a graduate student's project. Depending on a university's guidelines for thesis committees, these research advisors may have to go through some paperwork to be listed as some form of faculty, in at least a temporary way (although their "employ" so to speak, is not through the university). Having such a link to these individuals would probably help connect students to research projects (and make the research facility "look good" or keep records in some way about this... but often such connection is just done through a regular faculty member's connections to researchers at the facility, which is probably why the link went dead.

Other than that, I'm basically seconding ZZ's. Note: I did some of my graduate work at AFRL, so my research advisor at AFRL was therefore a member of the committee (although not the chair), and I think there was some paperwork he had to fill out for the university to show he was qualified to be such.

While NASA and other labs don't grant degrees, many graduate students work at these centers while completing their degrees. Some of them attend nearby schools (while I was at Goddard, we had a lot of students from UMD and Catholic University working there), some have scholarships through NASA from schools all over the country (GSRP program, summer research programs for high school and college students) and some had connections - like advisers who had worked there previously or had friends there who could take on students (students from my graduate school worked at a NASA, Max Planck, NIST, and many other places this way).

1. What types of graduate programs does NASA Ames Research Center offer?

NASA Ames Research Center does not have its own graduate school, but it does offer research opportunities for graduate students through partnerships with various universities and institutions. These programs include internships, fellowships, and collaborative research projects.

2. Can I earn a graduate degree from NASA Ames Research Center?

No, NASA Ames Research Center does not have its own graduate school and therefore does not offer graduate degrees. However, students can participate in research projects and programs at NASA Ames while pursuing a graduate degree from their home institution.

3. Are there any specific research areas or disciplines offered for graduate students at NASA Ames Research Center?

NASA Ames Research Center covers a wide range of research areas, including aeronautics, space exploration, astrobiology, and planetary science. The specific research opportunities for graduate students may vary depending on the current projects and collaborations at the center.

4. How can I apply for a graduate research position at NASA Ames Research Center?

Interested students can visit the NASA Ames Research Center website or contact the center directly to inquire about available research opportunities for graduate students. The application process may vary depending on the specific program or project.

5. Is there any financial support available for graduate students at NASA Ames Research Center?

Yes, some graduate research programs at NASA Ames Research Center may provide financial support in the form of stipends, scholarships, or fellowships. However, the availability and amount of financial support may vary depending on the specific program and project.