Spherical Harmonic Wave Function =? 3D Wave Function

by drumercalzone
Tags: harmonic, optics, spherical, wave
Share this thread:
drumercalzone
Aug29-11, 01:02 PM
P: 13
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
Prove that the spherical harmonic wave function [tex] \frac{1}{r}e^{i(kr-{\omega}t)} [/tex] is a solution of the three-dimensional wave equation, where [tex] r = (x^2+y^2+z^2)^{\frac{1}{2}} [/tex]. The proof is easier if spherical coordinates are used.

2. Relevant equations

Wave function: [tex] \frac{{\partial}^2U}{\partial x^2} + \frac{{\partial}^2U}{\partial y^2} + \frac{{\partial}^2U}{\partial z^2} = \frac{1}{u^2} \frac{{\partial}^2U}{\partial t^2}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I really just don't even know where to start. Do I first convert the x,y,z into polar coordinates? or do I just substitue what's above in for r? But then what's up with imaginary part?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Study links polar vortex chills to melting sea ice
Lab unveil new nano-sized synthetic scaffolding technique
Cool calculations for cold atoms: New theory of universal three-body encounters
vela
Aug30-11, 09:27 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 11,776
You wrote the wave equation using Cartesian coordinates. More generally, you can write it as[tex]\nabla^2 U = \frac{1}{u^2}\frac{\partial^2 U}{\partial t^2}[/tex]
In your textbook, you can probably find how to write the Laplacian [itex]\nabla^2[/itex] using spherical coordinates. (Or just Google it.)

Register to reply