Simplifying the Limit for the Derivative of e^(x-2)

• Thread starter quasar987
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Derivative
In summary, to find the derivative function of f(x)=e^{x-2} using the definition, we evaluate the limit of (e^{x-2} - e^{x_0-2})/(x-x_0) as x approaches x_0. This results in an undetermined form, which can be simplified by factoring out e^{x_0} from the numerator and expanding e^{x-x_0} in a power series. The final answer is f'(x_0)=e^{x_0-2}. Different notations for defining derivatives may exist, but they all lead to the same answer.
quasar987
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
I am asked to find the derivative function of [itex]f(x)=e^{x-2}[/itex] using the definition. That is to say, I have to evaluate this limit, if it exists:

[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow x_0}\frac{e^{x-2} - e^{x_0-2}}{x-x_0} = \lim_{x\rightarrow x_0}\frac{e^{x} - e^{x_0}}{e^2 (x-x_0)}[/tex]

How can this undeterminate form be simplified? Thanks.

(The answer is [itex]f'(x_0)=e^{x_0-2}[/itex].)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Factor out exp(x0) from the numerator. Then expand exp(x-x0) in a power series. The rest is obvious.

Power serie not allowed, sorry.

im used to defining derivatives in a slightly different way, but if you need to it should be easy to convert to your way:

[tex]\frac{d}{dx}(e^{(x-2)}) = \lim_{h \rightarrow 0} \frac{e^{(x-2)+h} - e^{(x-2)}}{h}[/tex]

[tex]= \lim_{h \rightarrow 0} e^{(x-2)} \frac{e^{h} -1}{h}[/tex]

now noting that:

[tex]e = \lim_{h \rightarrow 0} (1+h)^{1/h}[/tex]

raising both sides to h (this is the only step I'm not sure about, but it gives the right answer):

[tex]\lim_{h \rightarrow 0} e^h = \lim_{h \rightarrow 0} ((1+h)^{1/h})^h = \lim_{h \rightarrow 0} 1+h [/tex]

so:
[tex]\lim_{h \rightarrow 0} \frac{e^{h} -1}{h}= \lim_{h \rightarrow 0} \frac{1 + h -1}{h}= 1[/tex]

which gives the answer.

StatusX said:
im used to defining derivatives in a slightly different way, but if you need to it should be easy to convert to your way:

lol, nobody is defining derivatives in different ways...only the notation differs

[tex] h \equiv \Delta x \equiv x - x_0 [/tex]

yea, that's all i meant.

This looks nice Status, but isn't there a [itex]e^{(x-2)}[/itex] remaining?

Yes, which is multiplied by 1, giving the answer, as is easily verified using the chain rule.

StatusX said:
yea, that's all i meant.

oh ok, sorry

1. What is the derivative of e^(x-2)?

The derivative of e^(x-2) is e^(x-2), which means that the derivative is equal to the original function.

2. How do you find the derivative of e^(x-2)?

The derivative of e^(x-2) can be found by using the chain rule, which states that the derivative of e^(f(x)) is equal to e^(f(x)) multiplied by the derivative of f(x).

3. What is the significance of e^(x-2)?

e^(x-2) represents the rate of change of a function at any given point. It is commonly used in exponential growth and decay problems, as well as in financial and scientific calculations.

4. Can the derivative of e^(x-2) be negative?

Yes, the derivative of e^(x-2) can be negative. This indicates that the original function is decreasing at that point. In other words, the rate of change is negative.

5. Are there any real-life applications of the derivative of e^(x-2)?

Yes, the derivative of e^(x-2) has many real-life applications, such as in modeling population growth, predicting stock market trends, and calculating interest rates. It is also used in physics and engineering to describe the rate of change of various physical quantities.