Register to reply

[Solved] Typo in FAQ article about cardinality

by Petek
Tags: article, cardinality, solved, typo
Share this thread:
Petek
Aug31-11, 03:14 PM
P: 361
The FAQ article How does cardinality work? contains a typo. The last sentence of the section titled The rational numbers are countable states

So by applying Cantor-Bernstein-Schroder, we have that the positive integers are countable.
The underlined phrase should be replaced by "rational numbers."
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Mysterious source of ozone-depleting chemical baffles NASA
Water leads to chemical that gunks up biofuels production
How lizards regenerate their tails: Researchers discover genetic 'recipe'
berkeman
Aug31-11, 04:16 PM
Mentor
P: 40,932
Quote Quote by Petek View Post
The FAQ article How does cardinality work? contains a typo. The last sentence of the section titled The rational numbers are countable states

The underlined phrase should be replaced by "rational numbers."
Is there a button to report the Library item? That would be the quickest way to get it fixed, I think.
Petek
Aug31-11, 04:47 PM
Well, when you press the Report button it states

Note: This is ONLY to be used to report spam, advertising messages, problematic (harassment, fighting, or rude) and unappropriated posts.
so I didn't think it was appropriate to report a typo that way. I did send Greg Bernhardt (the author of the article) a PM about this matter about a month ago (June 27), but no reply.

berkeman
Aug31-11, 04:52 PM
Mentor
P: 40,932
[Solved] Typo in FAQ article about cardinality

Well, when you press the Report button it states

so I didn't think it was appropriate to report a typo that way. I did send Greg Bernhardt (the author of the article) a PM about this matter about a month ago (June 27), but no reply.
It's okay to report important typos with the Report button. Tell 'em berkeman sent you
Petek
Aug31-11, 04:59 PM
OK, I'll report the post. Thanks for the advice.
Redbelly98
Sep1-11, 06:36 AM
Mentor
P: 12,069
The FAQ entry has been corrected, thanks for reporting it.
Borek
Sep1-11, 11:12 AM
Admin
P: 23,533
I did send Greg Bernhardt (the author of the article) a PM about this matter about a month ago (June 27), but no reply.
Greg is the site owner, and in some places his name used by default - it doesn't necessarily mean he is the author. You must hit one of these moments when he was occupied with something else, as usually he will just forward such information to staff members well versed in math.

Register to reply