Register to reply

So I need to make a superconducting tube.

by TimDubya
Tags: superconducting, tube
Share this thread:
TimDubya
Sep1-11, 06:50 PM
P: 11
Preferably YBCO or BSCCO as I only have liquid nitrogen at my disposal. The issue I'm running into is that no HTS producer makes superconductors in this configuration. I was thinking of just buying the YBCO powder and then either pressing it into the desired shape or mixing in a binder of some kind. The problem with pressing would be structural integrity and the problem with a binder is it might inhibit some aspects of the materials superconductivity. The dimensions don't really matter for this tube as the experiment I'm doing can be scaled, just so long as the length is like 5 or more ID's.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
Comfortable climate indoors with porous glass
Crash-testing rivets
Customized surface inspection
Dr_Zinj
Sep14-11, 01:21 PM
P: 24
You could try using palladium hydride, which is basically palladium supersaturated with hydrogen. It becomes super conducting at LN temperatures
uby
Sep15-11, 11:08 AM
P: 176
I'm surprised that none of the companies out there would be willing to cast a YBCO tube and sinter it to whatever your specifications are. Perhaps you haven't gotten in touch with the right people.

Anyway, as long as you have access to a high temperature furnace (MoSi2 elements would suffice) you can sinter YBCO yourself.

Register to reply