Linear Proofs

by blueberryfive
Tags: linear, matrix
Share this thread:
blueberryfive
Sep4-11, 10:33 PM
P: 36
Hello,

A(rB) = r(AB) =(rA)B where r is a real scalar and A and B are appropriately sized matrices.

How to even start? A(rbij)=A(rB), but then you can't reassociate...

Also, a formal proof for Tr(AT)=Tr(A)?

It doesn't seem like enough to say the diagonal entries are unaffected by transposition..

Lastly, let A be an mxn matrix with a column consisting entirely of zeros. Show that if B is an nxp matrix, then AB has a row of zeros.

I can't figure out how to make a proof of this. I know how to say what such and such entry of AB is, but I don't know how to designate an entire column. How do you formally say it will be equal to zero, then...just because the dot product of a zero vector with anything is 0?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Bees able to spot which flowers offer best rewards before landing
Classic Lewis Carroll character inspires new ecological model
When cooperation counts: Researchers find sperm benefit from grouping together in mice
HallsofIvy
Sep5-11, 08:17 AM
Math
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 39,352
Quote Quote by blueberryfive View Post
Hello,

A(rB) = r(AB) =(rA)B where r is a real scalar and A and B are appropriately sized matrices.

You don't have to. Every entry in "rB" has a factor of r so every entry in A(rB) has a factor of r so A(rb)= r(AB)= (rA)B

Also, a formal proof for Tr(AT)=Tr(A)?

It doesn't seem like enough to say the diagonal entries are unaffected by transposition..
Why not? Would it be better to say "[itex]A^*_{ij}= A_{ji}[/itex]" so that, replacing j with i, "[itex]A^*_{ii}= A_{ii}[/itex]"? That may look more "formal" but it is really just saying that "the diagonal entries are unaffected by transposition".

Lastly, let A be an mxn matrix with a column consisting entirely of zeros. Show that if B is an nxp matrix, then AB has a row of zeros.
[tex](AB)_{ij}= \sum A_{ik}B_{kj}[/itex]. If the "jth" column of B is all 0s, then the "jth" row of A is all 0.

I can't figure out how to make a proof of this. I know how to say what such and such entry of AB is, but I don't know how to designate an entire column. How do you formally say it will be equal to zero, then...just because the dot product of a zero vector with anything is 0?
blueberryfive
Sep5-11, 08:26 AM
P: 36
Thank you.

Also,

Tr(ATA)[itex]\geq[/itex]0.

I can't even see how to begin...

HallsofIvy
Sep5-11, 08:28 AM
Math
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 39,352
Linear Proofs

Thank you.

Also,

Tr(ATA)[itex]\geq[/itex]0.

I can't even see how to begin...
That's a sum of squares!
Fredrik
Sep5-11, 08:57 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 9,270
Hello,

The definition of rA where r is a real number and A is a matrix is [itex](rA)_{ij}=rA_{ij}[/itex]. The definition of AB where both A and B are matrices is [itex](AB)_{ij}=\sum_k A_{ik}B_{kj}[/itex]. It's not hard to use these definitions to show that the equalities you mentioned are true. Start with [itex](A(rB))_{ij}=\sum_k A_{ik}(rB)_{kj}[/itex].

All your other questions are also quite easy to answer if you just use these definitions, and the definition of the trace and the transpose: [itex]\operatorname{Tr}A=\sum_i A_{ii},\quad (A^T)_{ij}=A_{ji}[/itex].

Register to reply