Trignometric Polynomial complex form

In summary, a trigonometric polynomial complex form is a mathematical expression that combines polynomial and trigonometric functions in the form of complex numbers. It differs from regular polynomials by including trigonometric functions and has various real-world applications in fields like engineering and physics. Its key properties include periodicity and the ability to approximate any continuous function, and it can be simplified using trigonometric identities and software tools.
phillyj
Hi,
I'm trying to learn Fourier transforms by myself. I'm a bit confused about how the trignometric polynomial complex form was derived. I'm referring to this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trigonometric_polynomial

Now, I haven't taken complex analysis so I only know the basics. I used Euler's formula and got that far but I'm not sure what to do next.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Substitute

[tex]\cos(nx)=\frac{e^{inx}+e^{-inx}}{2}, ~\sin(nx)=\frac{e^{inx}-e^{-inx}}{2i}[/tex]

in the series and rearrange everything. This should give you the required form.

What is a trigonometric polynomial complex form?

A trigonometric polynomial complex form is a mathematical expression that combines polynomial functions with trigonometric functions, such as sine and cosine, in the form of complex numbers. It is commonly used in fields such as physics, engineering, and mathematics to model and solve complex problems.

How is a trigonometric polynomial complex form different from a regular polynomial?

The main difference between a trigonometric polynomial complex form and a regular polynomial is the inclusion of trigonometric functions. Regular polynomials only contain variables raised to non-negative integer powers, while trigonometric polynomials also include variables raised to complex powers such as i or imaginary numbers.

What are some real-world applications of trigonometric polynomial complex form?

Trigonometric polynomial complex forms are used to model and solve problems in various fields, including electrical engineering, signal processing, and wave mechanics. They are also used in physics to describe the behavior of oscillatory systems and in geophysics to study seismic waves.

What are the key properties of a trigonometric polynomial complex form?

Some key properties of a trigonometric polynomial complex form include its periodicity, which is determined by the period of the trigonometric functions involved, and its ability to approximate any continuous function within a given range. It also follows the usual rules of arithmetic and calculus, making it a powerful tool for solving complex problems.

How can I simplify a trigonometric polynomial complex form?

To simplify a trigonometric polynomial complex form, you can use various trigonometric identities and rules, such as the Pythagorean identities and the sum and difference formulas. You can also convert it into exponential form, which can make it easier to manipulate and solve. Additionally, using computer software or graphing calculators can help simplify and visualize the form.