Trigonometric Functions

by Mépris
Tags: functions, trigonometric
Share this thread:
Mépris
Sep10-11, 03:07 AM
P: 830
Hi,

For my exams, I am provided with a list of trigonometric functions. I do know at least a good half of those I'm supposed to know but I was wondering if I could get away with *just* knowing how to use them? I know things like sin^2(x)=1 - cos^2(x) or sin(A+B) = sinAcosB + cosAsinB but there are a handful of them I don't remember. Will that be detrimental in the future if I'm majoring in math or physics?

Cheers
Phys.Org News Partner Mathematics news on Phys.org
Professor quantifies how 'one thing leads to another'
Team announces construction of a formal computer-verified proof of the Kepler conjecture
Iranian is first woman to win 'Nobel Prize of maths' (Update)
stallionx
Sep10-11, 03:49 AM
P: 100
http://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=526880

I hope this link helps
Allenman
Sep10-11, 05:10 AM
P: 58
It is helpful to know trig as good as you can... You never know when it will come in handy, and it does a LOT especially in physics.... I made this little dewhicky to help me when I was learning (still am learning), mostly for vectors in physics. All of the equations come from the original SOH CAH TOA.

AlephZero
Sep10-11, 08:27 AM
Engineering
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 7,101
Trigonometric Functions

If you are given a list of formulas, then obviosuly you don't need to remember them all (face-palm!)

On the other hand you do need to understand what they mean, so you can use them sensibly.

FWIW after 30 years using them regularly I still can't remember all the "variations" on trig formulas, but I know enough of them to be able to derive the rest quickly when I need them

If you know the basics of
sin2 a + cos2 a = 1
sin(a+b) = sin a cos b + cos a sin b
cos(a+b) = cos a cos b - sin a sin b
sin(-a) = -sin(a), cos(-a) = cos(a)

You should be able to work out all the other formulas for double and half angles, and
2 sin a cos b = sin(a+b) + sin(a-b) etc.

Then letting a+b = x and a-b = y you can get all the formulas for
(sin or cos a) +/- (sin or cos b).

For complex numbers, everything follows from eix = cos x + i sin x.

Register to reply