Several optics questions, need of desperate help.

In summary, the conversation is about several questions related to optics. The first question asks about the focal length of a concave mirror when it is immersed in water. The second question involves determining the position and magnification of an object placed in front of a spherical glass ornament. The third question deals with the magnification and distance of an image formed by a concave shaving mirror. The fourth question involves finding the distance between a photographic slide and a lens, as well as the focal length of the lens. The final question asks about the placement of an object in front of a concave mirror to create an erect image that is 2 1/2 times the size of the object. The person asking for help apologizes for asking too many
mathrocks
Several optics questions, need desperate help.

I have some questions about optics. I've been working on these problems unfortunately over thanksgiving break and without a book (I forgot it to bring it)
So any help you guys can give me will be awesome.

1. A concave mirror has a radius of curvature of 34.0 cm. If the mirror is immersed in water (refractive index 1.33), what is its focal length?
(I thought you would just use the equation 1/(n-1*(1/radius of curvature)), that doesn't work though for some reason)

2. An object is a distance of s from the center of a silvered spherical glass Christmas tree ornament which has a diameter of d. What is the position of its image? What is the magnification of its image?

3. A spherical, concave, shaving mirror has a radius of curvature of R. What is the magnification of a person's face when it is a distance of s to the left of the vertex of the mirror? What is the distance to the image?

4.A photographic slide is to the left of a lens. The lens projects an image of the slide onto a wall which is a distance of x to the right of the slide. The image is larger than the size of the slide by a factor of n. How far is the slide from the lens? What is the focal length of the lens?

5. Where must you place an object in front of a concave mirror with radius R so that the image is erect and 2 1/2 times the size of the object? Where is the image?

Sorry if this is too many questions but I've been working on these for awhile with no sucess. Some of these are probably so easy and I'm just wasting your time with them but I'm really struggling here, I'm not too fond of optics.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Any help at all will be great.

Thank you for reaching out for help with your optics questions. I can understand how frustrating it can be to work on problems without having access to your textbook. Let's go through each question one by one and see if we can find some solutions.

1. The equation you mentioned is correct, but you need to take into account the change in the refractive index of the medium. In this case, the focal length can be calculated using the formula f = (n/n') * (R/2), where n and n' are the refractive indices of the medium and the mirror respectively, and R is the radius of curvature. So for this question, the focal length would be (1.33/1) * (34/2) = 22.44 cm.

2. For this question, you can use the formula 1/s + 1/s' = 2/r, where s and s' are the object and image distances, and r is the radius of the mirror. The magnification can be calculated using the formula m = -s'/s.

3. The magnification for this question can be calculated using the formula m = -s/R. To find the distance to the image, you can use the formula s' = (R^2 - s^2)/2R.

4. For this question, you can use the formula x/s = n, where x is the distance between the slide and the lens, and s is the distance between the lens and the image. The focal length can be calculated using the formula 1/f = 1/s + 1/s'.

5. For this question, you can use the formula s' = -f/s, where s is the distance between the object and the mirror, and s' is the distance between the image and the mirror. The image will be located at a distance of 2.5s from the mirror.

I hope these explanations and formulas help you solve these problems. Remember, practice makes perfect, so keep working at it and don't get discouraged. Good luck!

1. What are the different types of lenses and their functions in optics?

There are two main types of lenses in optics - convex and concave. Convex lenses are thicker in the middle and thinner at the edges and are used to converge light rays to a focal point. They are commonly used in magnifying glasses, telescopes, and cameras. Concave lenses are thinner in the middle and thicker at the edges and are used to diverge light rays, making objects appear smaller. They are commonly used in eyeglasses and microscopes.

2. How does the human eye work in terms of optics?

The human eye works by using the cornea and the lens to focus incoming light onto the retina, which then sends signals to the brain to form an image. The cornea acts as the primary focusing element, while the lens adjusts its shape to fine-tune the focus. The retina contains photoreceptor cells, which convert light into electrical signals that are sent to the brain for interpretation.

3. What is refraction and how does it affect optics?

Refraction is the bending of light as it passes through different mediums, such as air, water, or glass. This is due to the change in the speed of light as it travels through these mediums. Refraction plays a crucial role in optics, as it allows for the creation of lenses and the formation of images in the human eye.

4. How are mirrors used in optics?

Mirrors are used in optics for reflection, which is the bouncing of light off a surface. Plane mirrors reflect light at the same angle at which it hits the mirror, creating a virtual image. Concave and convex mirrors can also be used to manipulate light for different purposes, such as magnifying or focusing an image.

5. What is the difference between a real and virtual image in optics?

A real image is formed when light rays actually converge at a point, creating a sharp and focused image. This can be seen with a convex lens or a concave mirror. In contrast, a virtual image is formed when light rays appear to be converging at a point, but they do not actually intersect. This can be seen with a plane mirror or a concave lens.