magnet and coin

by elnaz
Tags: coin, magnet
elnaz
Oct13-11, 10:15 AM
P: 3
hi,guys
do you know when the coin will fall from a magnet and when would it stay on it?
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Physicists consider implications of recent revelations about the universe's first light
Vacuum ultraviolet lamp of the future created in Japan
Grasp of SQUIDs dynamics facilitates eavesdropping
mrspeedybob
Oct13-11, 11:15 AM
P: 689
Since most US coins are non magnetic I would have to say the coin will only stay on the magnet when it is on top or attached with adhesive. Otherwise it will fall off. ;-)
elnaz
Oct13-11, 11:35 AM
sorry,but i want to mention this situation for an iron coin?

elnaz
Oct13-11, 11:47 AM

magnet and coin

why is the sky blue?
jetwaterluffy
Oct13-11, 01:44 PM
P: 227
Quote Quote by elnaz View Post
hi,guys
When the force of gravity is smaller than the force exerted by the magnet, it will fall. That will depend on the distance from the magnet, the strength of the magnet, and the percentage iron content. (100% iron coins will rust and disintegrate pretty quickly, I think, so I don't think you can get coins out of them.)
why is the sky blue?
Because light is scattered by particles or groups of particles the same size as their wavelength. Most of the particles in the atmosphere are either smaller than visible light's wavelength, or only just big enough. This means only the smaller wavelengths have any scattering, i.e. blue and purple. This scattering across the sky makes the sky look blue. The reason the sky doesn't look purple is because there is less purple in sunlight and we find it harder to see than blue. This explains other effects too. The reason the sun looks yellow is because the blue light is scattered out of the direct sunlight across the sky leaving a shift in the average colour of the sunlight. This effect is especially pronounced when the sunlight has to go through a long distance of atmosphere, e.g. at sunsets. This means only the longest wavelengths can get through i.e. red and orange light. You can see the same effect with silica aerosol, too.
allenshih1
Feb25-12, 08:40 PM
P: 1
hi,guys
You're obviously working on IYPT.

Register to reply