Pendulum Problem: Potential energy equals? kinetic energy

by smeiste
Tags: energy, equals, kinetic, pendulum, potential
smeiste
Oct16-11, 09:36 PM
P: 36
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A pendulum consists of an object of mass m = 1.65 kg swinging on a massless string of length l. The object has a speed of 1.97 m/s when it passes through its lowest point. If the speed of the object is 0.87 m/s when the string is at 70 below the horizontal, what is the length of the string?

Correct answer: 2.64 m (to 3 sig figs)

2. Relevant equations

Ep = mgh
Ek = 1/2mv^2

3. The attempt at a solution

I tried the equation:

mg(length(1-cos20)) = 1/2mv^2

and this did not work.. it worked when I had the length and needed the velocity?

2. Relevant equations

Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Cougars' diverse diet helped them survive the Pleistocene mass extinction
Cyber risks can cause disruption on scale of 2008 crisis, study says
Mantis shrimp stronger than airplanes
PeterO
Oct17-11, 07:00 AM
HW Helper
P: 2,316
Quote Quote by smeiste View Post

A pendulum consists of an object of mass m = 1.65 kg swinging on a massless string of length l. The object has a speed of 1.97 m/s when it passes through its lowest point. If the speed of the object is 0.87 m/s when the string is at 70 below the horizontal, what is the length of the string?

Correct answer: 2.64 m (to 3 sig figs)

2. Relevant equations

Ep = mgh
Ek = 1/2mv^2

I tried the equation:

mg(length(1-cos20)) = 1/2mv^2

and this did not work.. it worked when I had the length and needed the velocity?

2. Relevant equations

Using your two speeds, you can calculate the kinetic energy at the bottom, and when in the 70 degree position [or indeed 20 degree as you are starting to use]
The reduction in kinetic energy will be accompanied by an equivalent increase in Potential energy - so you know the gain in height.

A bit of trig on the triangle formed should yield the pendulum length you are after.
smeiste
Oct17-11, 12:41 PM
P: 36
Thank you so much!

Register to reply