How do I find the formula for the hydrate?

• Thread starter Dooh
  • Start date
In summary, a hydrated sample of MgSO_3 weighs 1.500g before heating and 0.737g after heating. The corresponding "dry" compound into which no water molecules have been absorbed is termed the "anhydrous" compound, and it usually has different visual appearance and properties. To solve this problem, you need to figure out the water molecule per unit, and then find a ratio between the water and the MgSO3.
Dooh
The problem is:

A hydrated sample of MgSO_3 weighs 1.500g before heating and 0.737g after heating. What is the formula for the hydrate?

what exactly is a hydrate?

Physics news on Phys.org
From what I can remember, a hydrated compound is a chemical compound that absorbs water molecules into its chemical structure in a very definite way. Hence the term, "hydrated" compound. The corresponding "dry" compound into which no water molecules have been absorbed is termed the "anhydrous" compound, and it usually has different visual appearance and properties.

Sometimes hydration reactions occur spontaneously (a compound will slowly absorb or release water from or into the atmosphere). However, hydration is not the same thing as a substance simply becoming 'wet' i.e. a substance is not necessarily 'hydrated' just because you dumped a bunch of water on it. As I said before, a chemical reaction must occur in which the water molecules are incorporated into the lattice structure of the compound in very specific proportions. For example, if a hydrated compound has five water molecules per formula unit (I just gave five as an example..you have to look up how many it is for this compound), then the chemical formula denoting this structure would be:

[tex] \text{MgSO}_3 \bullet 5\text{H}_{2}\text{O} [/tex]

There are five water molecules for every pair of Mg2+ and SO32- ions.

If you are wondering what the nature of the chemical bond between these water molcules and the compound in question is, then I'm afraid I don't know.

im assuming the problem is asking me to figure out what the water molecule per unit is then? our teacher didnt teach us about these things yet >.< so i have no idea on how to do this problem :grumpy:

OOOOOOOOO this just occurred to me as i waslooking at the problem

since its 1.500g when its hydrated, and after heating it, it becomes .737g. that means all the weight that was lost is H20 right?

from that i know the mass of H20 in that compound, then um..now what? :yuck:

Last edited:
A chemical formula (what the question is asking for) includes mole ratios between parts of the molecule. How can you find the ratio of moles of [itex]MgSO_{3}[/itex] to moles of water using the masses?

Dooh said:
The problem is:

A hydrated sample of MgSO_3 weighs 1.500g before heating and 0.737g after heating. What is the formula for the hydrate?

How many moles of MgSO3 are in 0.737g? I get an answer around 0.0070614 moles. I'll store that as "A" in my calculator.

Take the change of masses to have the mass of water.
1.5 - 0.737 = 0.763g water. That's about 0.04234 moles of water. Store that value as "B".

Now take a ratio between the water and the MgSO3.
B/A = 5.99622 ~= 6

MgSO3 * 6H2O

Dooh said:
im assuming the problem is asking me to figure out what the water molecule per unit is then? our teacher didnt teach us about these things yet >.< so i have no idea on how to do this problem :grumpy:

OOOOOOOOO this just occurred to me as i waslooking at the problem

since its 1.500g when its hydrated, and after heating it, it becomes .737g. that means all the weight that was lost is H20 right?

from that i know the mass of H20 in that compound, then um..now what? :yuck:

Excellent! You might not have been taught this stuff, but you figured out what the problem was asking, and what the key concepts and info are that you need to solve it.

Think about it this way...you have a question that's asking about the amount of a substance that forms part of a compound, in terms of numbers of molecules, as opposed to mass. So what is a conveniently large number for expressing numbers of molecules? The mole. Convert everything into amounts in moles, instead of mass in grams, that way you can directly compare the relative amounts of various substances making up the compound. Try that, and let me know how it goes...

1. What does it mean for something to be hydrated?

Hydration is the process of adding water molecules to a substance, resulting in a chemical reaction known as hydration. This can occur in both organic and inorganic compounds, and often increases the stability and solubility of the substance.

2. How does hydration affect the properties of a substance?

Hydration can significantly impact the physical and chemical properties of a substance. It can increase its melting and boiling points, change its color or appearance, and alter its reactivity with other substances.

3. What are some examples of substances that undergo hydration?

Many substances undergo hydration, including salts, acids, and alcohols. For example, when table salt (NaCl) is added to water, it dissociates into its ions (Na+ and Cl-) and becomes hydrated.

4. Is hydration only important for chemical compounds?

No, hydration is also important for living organisms. Our bodies are made up of approximately 60% water, and proper hydration is essential for bodily functions such as digestion, metabolism, and regulating body temperature.

5. Can overhydration be harmful?

Yes, overhydration can lead to a condition called hyponatremia, where the level of sodium in the blood becomes too low. This can cause symptoms such as headaches, confusion, and even seizures. It is important to maintain a balance of hydration and electrolyte levels in the body.