Trying to build a fusor at home.

by Fusiontron
Tags: build, fusor, home
Fusiontron
Nov16-11, 02:10 PM
P: 69
Any tips on how to start (I've already looked at www.fusor.net) and what the projected costs would be? I'm looking to complete this by the end of the year.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
SensaBubble: It's a bubble, but not as we know it (w/ video)
The hemihelix: Scientists discover a new shape using rubber bands (w/ video)
Microbes provide insights into evolution of human language
mathman
Nov16-11, 02:49 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 5,941
If this really worked it would solve all our power problems! I am very skeptical.
Fusiontron
Nov17-11, 10:57 AM
P: 69
I'm not looking to generate any legitimate amount of power, lol. I just want to do this as a hobby and hopefully get it to work at least a little. Something like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7iSDnANGAFs

mathman
Nov17-11, 03:48 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 5,941

Trying to build a fusor at home.

If it really worked, then it could be scaled up to be a power source. That's why I am very skeptical.
Drakkith
Nov21-11, 08:35 PM
PF Gold
P: 11,057
Quote Quote by mathman View Post
If it really worked, then it could be scaled up to be a power source. That's why I am very skeptical.
Lol, he's not trying to produce power, just to achieve fusion, which a fusor is easily capable of if done correctly. It isn't possible to scale it up to produce power , as there are far too many losses involving the grid.

Fusiontron, it really depends on your skillset and the amount of time you have. You can spend months looking for the best deals and going to places to find working "junk" that you can use and spend next to nothing, or you can spend a lot less time looking by buying used equipment that can be found online pretty easily.
Enthalpy
Nov27-11, 06:19 PM
P: 660
Quote Quote by mathman View Post
The fusor does work! It's well known for that. It does fuse deuterium and a few more, produce helium and neutrons and all the expected stuff. It's also used as a neutron source.

What is doesn't do is produce more energy than it consumes.

Register to reply