Calculating Period of a Simple Pendulum with Accelerating Elevator and Truck

In summary, the conversation is about a person struggling to find the correct answer for the period of a simple pendulum in different scenarios involving acceleration. They try various methods but are unable to find the correct answer. Finally, they receive a hint to consider all the forces acting on the mass and are able to solve the problems.
Kawrae
Okay I thought I understood this, but I guess not... according to this webassign program all my answers are wrong!

>> A simple pendulum is 6.00m long.
(a) What is the period of simple harmonic motion for this pendulum if it is hanging in an elevator that is accelerating upward at 8.00m/s^2?

My attempt: I used the formula T=2pi(L/g)^(1/2). I know the length and for g I first tried just filling in 9.8m/s^2 but that didn't work. So then I tried adding the acceleration in the y direction and got 1.8m/s^2 for g. But that didn't work either. Then I tried just ignoring gravity and using 8.00 that was given but that didn't work either. So now I'm stuck.

(b) What is its period if the elevator is accelerating downward at 8.00 m/s^2?

My attempt: Tried the same as part (a) only using -8.00m/s^2...

(c) What is the period of simple harmonic motion for this pendulum if it is placed in a truck that is accelerating horizontally at 8.00 m/s^2?

My attempt: I used the same formula as part (a) only I figured since it was only moving in the x-direction the 8.00 didn't matter, so I just used 9.8 for g. But it was wrong too.

Please help!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Trial and error won't get you very far particularly when there's no one around to tell you whether your answer is correct or not.

HINT: Add up all the forces acting on the mass and equate the sum to the acceleration of the mass.

Thank you very much I finally figured them all out :)

1. What is a simple pendulum?

A simple pendulum is a weight suspended from a fixed point that is able to swing back and forth under the influence of gravity. It is used to demonstrate the principles of oscillation and can be found in many everyday objects such as clocks and metronomes.

2. What are the factors that affect the period of a simple pendulum?

The period of a simple pendulum is affected by three main factors: the length of the pendulum, the mass of the weight, and the strength of gravity. The longer the length of the pendulum, the longer the period will be. Similarly, a heavier weight will result in a longer period. Lastly, a stronger gravitational force will result in a shorter period.

3. How do you calculate the period of a simple pendulum?

The period of a simple pendulum can be calculated using the equation T=2π√(L/g), where T is the period in seconds, L is the length of the pendulum in meters, and g is the acceleration due to gravity in meters per second squared.

4. What is the relationship between the length of a simple pendulum and its period?

The length of a simple pendulum is directly proportional to its period. This means that as the length of the pendulum increases, the period also increases. This relationship is known as the "period-length" relationship.

5. How does air resistance affect a simple pendulum?

Air resistance, also known as drag, can have a small effect on the period of a simple pendulum. It causes the pendulum to lose energy as it swings, resulting in a slightly shorter period. This effect is more prominent in longer pendulums with larger weights and in areas with higher air density.