Volume of air from psi and diameter of pipe?

In summary: The velocity of the air is not simple to solve for. You would need to use the square root of the pressure and the density. If you are using US units, the velocity would be about 32 ft/s. If you are using SI units, the velocity would be about 5.14 m/s.
cpasc123
I need to find the volume of air (ft^3) for this sample. The air is discharged at 40 psi for 1 minute and the diameter of the pipe is 0.5 inches (Area = 0.001363538 ft^2). I think I need to solve for the velocity of the air (vel = sqrt(2P/rho), where P is the pressure and rho is the density). For the density I will assume the air is at 70°F and atmospheric pressure, so the density will be 0.074887 lbm/ft^3. I think I keep messing up with my units so I am not sure if I have the right answer or not. In US units I get about 32 ft^3 (I may be using the gravitational constant incorrectly). In SI units I get about 5.14 m^3 (181.67 ft^3). I am not really sure what I can expect for the volume of air, for air being discharged at 40 psi for 1 minute through a 0.5 inch diameter pipe. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Engineering news on Phys.org
aWhy not just use the standart 'p-v-t' relationships??

in one second, yoiu have a known volume of gas at a known temperature and pressure.

That volume is then released to occupy a much larger (unknown) volume at a different pressure-volume-temperature condition...

simple calculations ought to give you X ft^3 per unit time

Hopefully this might give you 'enough' of an acceptable answer.

Last edited:
Let me give you a little bit more information of the background. This is a large compressed air system. The samples are to be taken at several use points. Each use point has it owns regulator, which during the sample taking process is set to 40 psi.

So how would I have a known volume? Would I get that from the max volume capacity of the regulator (I don't think that would be correct)? If I were to use the p-v-t relationship would my initial pressure be 40 psi and my final be atmospheric? I would imagine the temperature would not change too much, but I don't know for sure and I would not be able to measure the initial temperature of the air in the compressed air system.

Why can't I just solve for the velocity of the air, which would seem to be a lot simpler?

1. What is the formula for calculating the volume of air from psi and diameter of pipe?

The formula for calculating the volume of air from psi (pounds per square inch) and diameter of pipe is: V = (pi * d^2 * p) / 4, where V is the volume in cubic inches, d is the diameter of the pipe in inches, and p is the psi.

2. How do I convert psi to cubic inches?

To convert psi to cubic inches, you can use the formula: V = (pi * d^2 * p) / 4, where V is the volume in cubic inches, d is the diameter of the pipe in inches, and p is the psi. Make sure to use consistent units for accurate calculations.

3. Can I use this formula for any type of pipe?

Yes, the formula for calculating the volume of air from psi and diameter of pipe can be used for any type of pipe as long as you use consistent units for the diameter and psi.

4. Is there a way to calculate the volume of air without knowing the diameter of the pipe?

No, the diameter of the pipe is a necessary component in the formula for calculating the volume of air from psi and diameter of pipe. Without the diameter, the calculation cannot be accurately completed.

5. How does the volume of air change with different psi and pipe diameters?

The volume of air will increase as the psi increases and/or as the diameter of the pipe increases. This is because the formula includes both the psi and the diameter as factors in calculating the volume. So, as these values increase, the volume will also increase.