HallsofIvy
Nov28-11, 12:32 PM
Math
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 39,682
Okay, do you have a [b]question[/b}? What do you want to know about that function?

If you are asking about how to get that series, you could, of course, find the derivatives of that function, and apply the usual formula for Taylor's series.

However, for this particular function, the simpler way to handle it is to think of it as the sum of a geometric series. The sum of a geometric series, [itex]\sum ar^n[/itex] is [itex]a/(1- r)[/itex].

Here, "[itex]a/(1- r)[/itex]" is [itex]1/(1+ z^2)[/itex] so that a= 1 and [itex]r= -z^2[/itex]. [itex]\sum ar^n[/itex] becomes [itex]\sum (1)(-z^2)^n= \sum (-1)^nz^{2n}[/itex].

By the way, to get all of "(2k)" in the exponent, use "z^{(2k)}" rather than just "z^(2k)".
nicolas.ard
Nov28-11, 12:36 PM
P: 4
I'm sorry, i wrote the question and i posted it by mistake, i found the solution over here [1]. I did't found the option to delete my post, this is phpBB?

[1] http://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=297842

nicolas.ard
Nov28-11, 12:38 PM
P: 4
Taylor serie of a function 1/(1+Z^2)

Thanks!, the use of geometric series it's a way to do it easier. :)

However, for this particular function, the simpler way to handle it is to think of it as the sum of a geometric series. The sum of a geometric series, ∑arn is a/(1−r).

Here, "a/(1−r)" is 1/(1+z2) so that a= 1 and r=−z2. ∑arn becomes ∑(1)(−z2)n=∑(−1)nz2n.

By the way, to get all of "(2k)" in the exponent, use "z^{(2k)}" rather than just "z^(2k)".

Register to reply