How to calculate the height of something by throwing an object off it?

by Bellabob
Tags: height, object, throwing
Bellabob
Dec1-11, 06:04 PM
P: 3
I go rock climbing a lot with my BSA troop, and my friends and I can only estimate the height. I want to know the exact height. Considering I do not have a ruler long enough to measure the height of the cliff, I know there is a way to throw an object off the cliff (say, a rock), time how long it takes to hit the ground, and then do some math and then you have the height.

I want to know how to do the math. Please be detailed with your answer, because I'm 15 and not really a math genius (I'm good, but not THAT good).

Thanks.
Phys.Org News Partner Mathematics news on Phys.org
Researchers help Boston Marathon organizers plan for 2014 race
'Math detective' analyzes odds for suspicious lottery wins
Pseudo-mathematics and financial charlatanism
Mark44
Dec1-11, 06:54 PM
Mentor
P: 20,939
Quote Quote by Bellabob View Post
I go rock climbing a lot with my BSA troop, and my friends and I can only estimate the height. I want to know the exact height. Considering I do not have a ruler long enough to measure the height of the cliff, I know there is a way to throw an object off the cliff (say, a rock), time how long it takes to hit the ground, and then do some math and then you have the height.

I want to know how to do the math. Please be detailed with your answer, because I'm 15 and not really a math genius (I'm good, but not THAT good).

Thanks.
h = 16t2
t is in seconds and h is in feet.
1MileCrash
Dec1-11, 07:29 PM
P: 1,226
Make sure if you use mark's equation that the rock is either dropped or thrown straight ahead.

DaveC426913
Dec1-11, 07:39 PM
P: 15,325

How to calculate the height of something by throwing an object off it?

BTW, there are other ways that might have less error than estimating a time of a second or two.

You can figure out how far you are from the base of the cliff and use trig to calculate its height.
pwsnafu
Dec1-11, 07:48 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 773
Quote Quote by DaveC426913 View Post
You can figure out how far you are from the base of the cliff and use trig to calculate its height.
Damn you beat me.
But yes, trig is how it has always been down in the past. And we have GPS now, so it's easier too.

Register to reply