What are the domain and range of the function y=2(3^x)-1?

In summary, the equation y=2(3^x)-1 has an x-intercept of -0.63, a y-intercept of 1, a vertical asymptote at -0.63, and a horizontal asymptote at 0. To find the domain and range, use the entire real axis and the open interval (-1,+infinity) respectively. Make sure to use the correct definitions of vertical and horizontal asymptotes and solve for intersections accurately. It is also assumed that the initial function is y=2\cdot 3^{x} -1.
aisha
I was given the equation y=2(3^x)-1 and told to state the domain, range, x and y intercepts and asymptotes.

I graphed the eqn and got the x-intercept to =-0.63 and the y-intercept=1
the vertical asymptote is the same as x-intercept so =-0.63 and the horizontal asymptote always equals 0.

If these values are right, then I need to find out the domain and range, but I don't know how. Can someone please help me? :redface:

Physics news on Phys.org
aisha said:
I was given the equation y=2(3^x)-1 and told to state the domain, range, x and y intercepts and asymptotes.
I graphed the eqn and got the x-intercept to =-0.63 and the y-intercept=1
the vertical asymptote is the same as x-intercept so =-0.63 and the horizontal asymptote always equals 0.
If these values are right, then I need to find out the domain and range, but I don't know how. Can someone please help me? :redface:

Me again,...This time i say to review calculations.
Hints:1)Do u agree with me that the domain in the entire real axis and the range the open interval (-1,+infinity)??
2)Use the correct definitions of veritical/horizontal asymptotes.
3) Solve the equations for the intersections correctly.

PS I assumed that your initial function was [itex] y=2\cdot 3^{x} -1 [/itex].

The domain of a function is the set of all possible input values, or x-values, for which the function is defined. In this case, the function y=2(3^x)-1 is defined for all real numbers, so the domain is all real numbers, or (-∞, ∞). This means that any x-value can be plugged into the function and it will produce a valid output.

The range of a function is the set of all possible output values, or y-values, that the function can produce. In this case, the function y=2(3^x)-1 can produce any real number as an output, so the range is also all real numbers, or (-∞, ∞). This means that the function can have a y-value of any number, positive or negative, depending on the input x-value.

As for the x and y-intercepts, your calculations are correct. The x-intercept is approximately -0.63 and the y-intercept is 1. These values represent the points where the function crosses the x and y-axes, respectively.

The vertical asymptote, as you mentioned, is also located at -0.63. This is the value where the function approaches infinity as x approaches -0.63 from either side. The horizontal asymptote, as you also correctly stated, is always at y=0. This means that as x increases or decreases without bound, the function will approach 0 as well.

I hope this helps clarify the concepts of domain, range, x and y-intercepts, and asymptotes for this function. Keep up the good work!

1. What is the domain of the function Y=2(3^x)-1?

The domain of the function Y=2(3^x)-1 is the set of all real numbers. This means that any value of x can be plugged into the function to get a corresponding y-value.

2. What is the range of the function Y=2(3^x)-1?

The range of the function Y=2(3^x)-1 is all real numbers greater than or equal to -1. This is because as x approaches negative infinity, the function approaches -1 and as x approaches positive infinity, the function approaches positive infinity.

3. Is Y=2(3^x)-1 a continuous function?

Yes, Y=2(3^x)-1 is a continuous function. This means that there are no breaks or gaps in the graph of the function and it can be drawn without lifting the pen from the paper.

4. What is the y-intercept of the function Y=2(3^x)-1?

The y-intercept of the function Y=2(3^x)-1 is -1. This means that when x=0, the value of the function is -1.

5. How do I graph the function Y=2(3^x)-1?

To graph the function Y=2(3^x)-1, you can plot points by choosing different values of x and solving for the corresponding y-value. You can also use a graphing calculator to plot the function and see its shape.